1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Make user group dependent on email verification?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by jflory7, Jun 16, 2015.

1. jflory7

jflory7 Active Member

Hello XenForo forums,

For my xF installation, I have a third-party service that checks my user table to see if a particular user exists. If they do and they are in the "Registered" group, it will give them perks on this service.

However, I don't want newly registered users being moved to the "Registered" group until after they have confirmed their email (i.e. so until then they are in the "Unregistered / Unconfirmed" group. Is this possible in vanilla XenForo? If not, is there an add-on or tweak I can do that will allow me to do this?

- jflory7​
  2. Arty

Arty Well-Known Member

Its easier to update your service. When you query xf_user table for users, add user_state = 'valid' to conditions.
    AndyB likes this.
  3. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Yes. Just setup a user group promotion to your "Registered" group based on user state = valid.
    jflory7 and Rob like this.
  4. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

In the default setup for XenForo (ie no add-ons required or 3rd party services used), as long as you have "Enable Email Confirmation" ticked in ACP > Options > User Registration then newly registered members will be in the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group until they haven't confirmed their email address via the link sent to them in the validation email.

If this is not happening with the 3rd party service you are using (amember by any chance?) then you need to raise this with them.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This isn't correct. Users are never put in the unregistered group. They just effectively get the permissions from it when they browse.
  6. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Sorry, I thought this was the case, particularly as the term "unconfirmed" is in the user group name. It's a little confusing that unconfirmed members get their permissions from a user group that they are not in.
  7. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

As has been said, a usergroup promotion is the way to go :)
  8. jflory7

jflory7 Active Member

And so now the only way for any user on my forums to become "Registered" is by having a valid email address, correct? I added the promotion, but I still wonder how it will work with primary / secondary groups.
  9. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Not sure what it is you are wondering about?
  10. Rob

Rob Well-Known Member

why not just make a new usergroup called "validated users". Next, make a usergroup promotion to move users with a "valid" state to the validated users group - if you tell the promotion to change their primary group then you can point your external service to check that new group, instead of registered.
    jflory7 likes this.
  11. jflory7

jflory7 Active Member

I don't know why I didn't think of this – I will try this. Thanks!
    Rob likes this.