Make the Report System into a Report System

DigNap15

Hello
Could please improve the Report System so that the offending Member and the Reporting Members can be sent messages from with the Reports dialogue box
At the momment it seems to have no use

Attachments

• report.webp
    report.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 14
Doesn't this function exist with XF2? How should we then discuss reported contributions as a team?
Yes it does exist, you have the option to use the report manager or to send to a thread.

even in the report manager you can discuss as a team but sadly without notifications if new comments.

I find most reports don’t need discussions, but the ones that do just open a thread to discuss

You just have to create forum node that's only visible to the moderation team and then set it as the forum to use.

It can also work to send to a forum that mods and OP can see. That's the way we do it and it is great because mods can discuss with the member who reports, rather than them getting a curt resolved or rejected alert.

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees, Mendalla! 😅 That is exactly what I was missing and looking for. Thank you very much for your help! 🤗

It can also work to send to a forum that mods and OP can see. That's the way we do it and it is great because mods can discuss with the member who reports, rather than them getting a curt resolved or rejected alert.
Interesting variation. We used to have a couple members who were bad for nuisance reports (one is banned and one has been better about it of late) and the discussions of their reports are definitely NOT something we'd want them to see. :whistle:

We use the warning system in tandem with reports. If we find the content needs to be addressed, whether it's post content or something in their profile, we warn them right from either place. Not all of our warnings have points, and points can be adjusted manually, so it can be used for sending a conversation with no repercussions, plus it provides a paper trail of the action being taken. (A staff member starting a conversation with a user provides no paper trail that the rest of the staff can see.) When deleting content, too, you can enter a "reason" and that will be sent as an alert.

This is plenty. I don't want the report system overcomplicated, although there is missing information in the report system that should be there to help staff (we find we have to click through to a lot of side-investigations in order to arrive at a conclusion as to what to do with a post or profile). But that could be a separate suggestion, or handled by an add-on (which is already is, to an extent, but still not thorough enough for our needs).

However you want it to work - you set the forum permissions for the user groups as you wish.

Most people set it to staff/moderators only - reported content should be discussed amongst the staff, not the general members.
I feel bad to see this idea gets shoulded.
It also needs to be discussed by a jury system if possible...

If XenForo won't provide a jury system, I guess someone will develop a such plugin and he will earn a lot.

I am my admin and the only moderator
So I don't need a report system (at the moment)
At present I tend to try to do the following
Start a new converation with the offender and give them a warning or note that they have been or whatever
Start a new conversaton with the member who reported and give them an update on my decision and actions
It does get a bit tedious.

A report system is still relevant even without extra moderators.
We can't be on a forum 24/7 and monitor each and every post. So when staff is not online, the Report function is needed so members can flag a post that is objectionable. That way, it will get immediate attention when anyone from staff logs in (even if it's a single person running a forum).

And using an add-on like Crowd Moderation will remove a post if it gets too many reports (depending on the threshold we set--it could be one, two or three reports that triggers it).

I couldn't run a forum without Reports. Warnings, too. Even if a warning doesn't hand out points, it still creates a "paper trail" of actions against a member. (This is more important when there are several moderators, yet those among us with poor memory find it helps even if we are doing this ourselves.)

Top Bottom