Make the Report System into a Report System

DigNap15

Hello
Could please improve the Report System so that the offending Member and the Reporting Members can be sent messages from with the Reports dialogue box
At the momment it seems to have no use

Attachments

• report.webp
    report.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 14
At the momment it seems to have no use
It does. It lets you
  • See the number of open reports
  • See the status of reports (Open, Resolved or Rejected)
  • See who is assigned to deal with a report

While I do agree that it would be nice to directly communicate with the content owner and reporter, I also don't think this is an absolute necessarity.
In most cases (at least in my forums) reports are for double posts or spam, there is no need to communicate in those cases.

Ideally, I'd like the Report Center combined with a Report Forum - IMHO that would bring in the advantages of both systems.

Yeah, but then you loose the option to track report status, assign reports and see the number of open reports in staff bar :)

However you want it to work - you set the forum permissions for the user groups as you wish.

Most people set it to staff/moderators only - reported content should be discussed amongst the staff, not the general members.

So how do mods interact with the member (to advice them on what not to do in future etc) whose content has been reported? I really have no idea how other forum owners/mods do it honestly. You start a conversation over DM? If you want to do more than just send an alert about action taken on their content which current system does support from my understanding. Thanks!

I believe most of the time, its a matter of a spam post and the user gets banned or just a rude comment perhaps. In that case, you could warn the member about the comment posted. I don't think the person who reported it should know what was done about the report. I don't think there should be any changes to the report system.

Because my forum is mainly General and Politics it can get a bit crazy
So it does need good rules and moderation
I like to advise the offender why they were Reported, and what action I have taken (and will take in the future)
And I like to advise the Reporter of the action taken (if any)
At the moment I have to write two pms to do this (and sometimes 3 or 4)
Thats why I say it's not really a Reports system

So it does need good rules and moderation
I like to advise the offender why they were Reported, and what action I have taken (and will take in the future)
And I like to advise the Reporter of the action taken (if any)
IMO this is ideal, so we do it this way. Ie communicate immediately with the reporter (via the report itself) and communicate with the reportee but only if appropriate.

This part of it needs some choice though whether to do it via warning or via PM And I believe should not be automatically part of the warning system.

On topic, our workload is pretty light and many reports are users reporting their own content to get corrections made or remove double posts. If there are actual rules violations, we just use conversations. I would not complain about a more robust communications piece to the reports system, but I'm not hurting without it.

From vB3, our team members are used to the fact that the forum software automatically creates a thread in the team forum for each reported post.

Doesn't this function exist with XF2? How should we then discuss reported contributions as a team?

That was a very simple and good procedure.

From vB3, our team members are used to the fact that the forum software automatically creates a thread in the team forum for each reported post.

Doesn't this function exist with XF2? How should we then discuss reported contributions as a team?

That was a very simple and good procedure.
Having reports go to a forum is an option and has been since 1.something (forget when we turned it on). It replaces, rather than augments, the report system though. It's in ACP - Setup - User Discouragement and Discipline and called "Send Reports to Forum". You just have to create forum node that's only visible to the moderation team and then set it as the forum to use. Set it to "None" to go back to using the report system.

We've used a forum for years now and have never been inclined to go back to the report system (though, to be fair, we don't handle many reports). I did end up setting up a bunch of prefixes so we can flag each report with its outcome for quick reference.

Top Bottom