Make saved drafts available when editing a long post

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
Copied from my thread in Bug Reports at https://xenforo.com/community/threads/drafts-not-available-when-editing-a-long-post.192602/ at the suggestion of @Mike

My suggestion is to activate drafts when editing a long post (e.g., an article) as happens when you are creating the opriginal post.

"I just discovered this while editing a rather long post (regular Discussion format, not Article, although this may happen with the other formats too).

When composing the post, the drafts button was there as always.

However, I needed to leave my desktop for a while before I had completed the post and I didn't want to lose what I had written so far so I saved the post.

Later, when I went back to edit/finish the post, I had added quite a bit of new text when I accidentally hit something on the keyboard which bounced me to a new window.

I returned to the post to finish editing and discovered that everything I had added during the previous edit was gone and there was no drafts button to recover it.

I'm not using any editor toolbar modifying addons, although I have made some modifications using the Xenforo buttons editor and added a few custom BBcodes with Font Awesome icons.

I may be missing a setting somewhere but I can't find any setting anywhere to enable drafts in edit mode.

I can reproduce this here, as with this post."

Upvote 18
This is definitely something I would have needed over the last 3 months, and I would love to see implemented in future.
I needed to edit a lot of long posts and after facing that same issue I had to fall back to Google Docs by copy/paste/edit/copy/paste and thoroughly check again all the text formatting and links.

I have only run into the issue once or twice but can see this being useful. I do a weekly feature in one of our forums and often start it early in previous week and edit as ideas come to me.

This is very much needed on my end. Sometimes I'll be heavily editing an already-created Article thread . . . then I forget to wait a second and hover to hit 'edit link.' it then FOLLOWS the link and bam. poof. possibly 30+ minutes of work gone down the tubes.

PLEASE add this . . .

Addressing the elephant in the room, if this is ever implemented, it will be sad that djbaxter didn't live to see it. RIP.
Yea, it will be. Liam had some amazing addons (like member self-delete/anonymize) that are thankfully being updated by others, but it still won't be the same with both of em gone.

Top Bottom