Lack of interest Make it possible to search multiple alternative tags (OR search) at once

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

jauburn

I'd like to see the Search Tags page be able to search multiple tags at once. This becomes particularly important when, as in the screen shot below, you want to search all possible permutations of a phrase or keyword (elastic search and elasticsearch) rather than having to search one at a time.

Currently when you do this, you can put two (or more) tags in the search field, but unless a thread contains *both* tags, you won't get any results.

I tried using the Boolean "or," but that didn't work.

searchtags.webp

Upvote 4
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
It doesn't look like the UI supports it. The actual search backend should however.

I would almost consider that a bug report.

I think this thread needs to be renamed because the report isn't exactly for searching multiple tags -- you can do that right now. It's for "OR" searching tags specifically. The tag search page isn't designed to do that; it's specifically a "multiplicative" (AND) search.

I would note that you can effectively do this via standard keyword search (as tag text is indexed there).

I think this thread needs to be renamed because the report isn't exactly for searching multiple tags -- you can do that right now. It's for "OR" searching tags specifically. The tag search page isn't designed to do that; it's specifically a "multiplicative" (AND) search.

I would note that you can effectively do this via standard keyword search (as tag text is indexed there).

Feel free to rename the thread.

You say that one can search multiple tags. How? I tried, as in the screenshot above, and I got no results. Searching one tag at a time, though, produced results.

Addendum: Oh, never mind. I see that you're saying it's an AND search only. My request stands, though, because as in the example in the screenshot, you're going to have people creating multiple versions of essentially the same tag, so I would think it's time-consuming to have users who really just want to pull up results for all threads tagged with some variation of the same thing to have to perform separate searches.

Wouldn't it make more sense4 to make it an OR search by default? An AND search would make sense if the available tags to filter on would be visible after an initial search. (which goes beyond the scope of the UI)

@Mike is saying that you can search "or" by using the keywords area rather than the tags area due to the fact that tags are included as part of the title in the actual index (the tags influence relevance more than the post content fyi). An example of this would be "elasticsearch |(+elastic +search)", I'll agree this isn't incredibly user friendly.

[Edit] "elasticsearch |(+elastic +search)" didn't work exactly how I expected as both 'elastic' and 'search' don't seem to be required in the second part of that.

Top Bottom