1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Make Automatically Closing a Poll More Customizable

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Amaury, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Currently, we can have a poll automatically close after X hours, days, weeks, or months. The problem is you can't be specific, as in you can't choose the minutes. If I make a poll for this thread and want it to automatically close at 11:59 PM tonight, I can't do that--at least not easily. I could choose 10 hours from now, but that would close it at 12:20 AM tomorrow, or I could choose nine hours, but that would close it at 11:20 PM. The current time is 2:20 PM, and it goes from the time you add or edit the poll.

The only way I could have this close at 11:59 PM is if I waited until 2:59 PM.

So my proposal is instead of this:

Poll 1.PNG

Have this:

Poll 2.png

Cal = Calendar, DD = Dropdown

I know, my mockup is horrible, but it should be clear:
    • An input box for the date. Clicking in it would bring up the calendar to choose the date.
    • A phrased "at"
    • A dropdown input box to choose the hours
    • A colon
    • A dropdown input box to choose the minutes
    • A dropdown input box to choose whether it's AM or PM

However, it would also follow the same date/time format you have set in your languages. So if you chose military time, there would be more hours in the hours dropdown and the AM/PM dropdown would not show for obvious reasons.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Axel B likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

To me it seems really over complicated for something that should be simple.
    Divvens likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

The suggestion in general or the proposed change?
  4. MarcoB

MarcoB Member

If I'm following @Amaury correctly, I agree that being able to specify a date time for when a poll should close would be a useful option, rather than being limited to specifying a relative duration.

i.e. set poll to close at 11:59pm on Friday 31st July 2015 without having to time the publication of the poll thread or editing the SQL database.
    Amaury likes this.
  5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

If you want it to close at 11:59 PM on August 8, 2015, for example, the only way to have it close at the time you want (without having to go into the database) is to wait until it's :59 at whatever hour and then choose the appropriate amount of days/hours.

Be sure to click that like link on my OP if you agree wit this. :)
    MarcoB likes this.