1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major help needed urgently - Server rebuild.

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by ineedhelp, Aug 6, 2013.

1. ineedhelp

ineedhelp Well-Known Member

Suddenly my site went down and got the 503 server error.

I couldn't access my pleask (web fusion software) to restart my services, The host tried and then got this error:

They have told me I need to rebuild my server. I've never done a server rebuild and I don't want to risk losing my database/files.

They've given me steps to follow but it all looks complex.

I've never used SSH etc.

Anyone got any advice or willing to help?

@DRE and anyone else!
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It looks like your mySQL server has crashed. Try restarting that (via SSH).
    LPH likes this.
  3. ineedhelp

The host has already tried. And now it's up to me to fix it.

Got any ideas?
  4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I didn't get an alert for this. Did you edit your post, then tagged me? Alerts are not given when you do it that way. Anyway hopefully you have a latest backup. Whens your latest backup?
  5. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Are you on a managed or unmanaged vps or a dedicated server?
  6. ineedhelp

No I didn't edit the post.

Back up is from 12pm GMT today. I've never used any back up database files before, I can only hope it works.
  7. ineedhelp

Unmanaged VPS.
  8. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Oh so your restoring it already? Good job!
  9. ineedhelp

No I'm not lol.

I'm still stuck.
  10. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Unmanaged VPS are cheap but in cases like yours I'd switch to a managed VPS. Since most of your users are in the UK, i suggest you switch to http://www.nimbushosting.co.uk/ and holler at Tim for the transfer. I remember you said you had some kinda contract. Whats that entail? You have to remain with them a couple more months? Anyway nimbushosting is great, I was on them when @Chris Deeming hosted me when I had issues.
    Ryan_ and Chris D like this.
  11. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I think you should consider using a manged VPS provider.

You obviously don't have the expertise required to maintain and repair your server if it goes wrong, so you should be paying for someone to do that for you, via a VPS provider that would manage it for you.

Hopefully you'll find someone kind enough to help you out otherwise your site is going to be down for a long time.

Maybe you should ask if there's any sort of one off fee you can pay to your VPS provider so they will sort this issue out for you.
  12. kprojects

kprojects Well-Known Member

can you go in and see what mysql is complaining about when it doesn't start?
  13. ineedhelp

Contract ends end of the month.

But right now, I need to rebuild the server and restore everything, so the site is back up.
  14. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Please don't renew because you've had issues before. Also sometimes the site was slow for me when I was on there. Go with nimbushosting.
    ineedhelp likes this.
  15. ineedhelp

They charge £100+ for a one off. :eek:
  16. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Yeah that's ridiculous. Your contract does not mean you absolutely have to host your site with them right? You can still move, you'll just be paying the remainder of the month. In the meantime you should email nimbushosting and ask them to move you. They'll quote you and hopefully get you started if you give them the info they need.
  17. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Yes you did. When I first saw it, the final line tagging DRE wasn't in it.
  18. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

19. ineedhelp

Problem solved. Did a server rebuild.

Thanks all.
  20. ineedhelp

I was too concerned about my site to remember if I edited the post or not lol.