MacRumor is going to move to XF from VB

That's great. Arn has finally seen the light! I badgered them about this ages ago and they didn't seem interested.

I wonder if it will help sort the community out. Their forums are a extremely toxic these days and rampant with deluded members. No idea why, it used to be a very friendly community but these days if you happen to mention that you own a Samsung monitor or any android devices, you'll likely get your head chewed off by some elitist snob, followed by the usual "Samdung suck LOL" childish comments.

That's pretty cool. It's one of the very few forums that I visit that still uses vB.

There will be a lot more nerds and hipsters hearing about and using XenForo now.

I wonder what they will use as the front page.

I wonder what they will use as the front page.
Can't see it changing. Looks like the front page is currently Wordpress or similar and there doesn't appear to be any integration currently other than sharing a similar header template.

You're right, I spotted a few things that look integrated.

Maybe they'll move everything over to an XF portal add-on like CTA Featured Threads or maybe they'll use a WP bridge if that's what they are currently using.

Hey all. This is arn from MacRumors.

I'm still working through the migration. I'm using the Big Board Importer, but there are a lot of minor issues I'm dealing with to get the transition right. I'm probably on my 10th export/import using an older backup. Getting there. I am still wrapping my head around Xenforo's way of doing things.

We use a custom Wordpress for the front page, and we have some slight custom integration with vB, but moving that over to XF shouldn't be a big deal.

I looked at Xenforo last year seriously, but I didn't feel it or we were quite ready. But at this point, there are enough benefits, that we didn't want to keep investing in vB.

arn

I'm still working through the migration. I'm using the Big Board Importer, but there are a lot of minor issues I'm dealing with to get the transition right. I'm probably on my 10th export/import using an older backup. Getting there. I am still wrapping my head around Xenforo's way of doing things.

Hi Arn, Thanks for posting this.

Would you mind keeping a short diary of issued you encountered and how you addressed them?

This kind of information is invaluable for other large boards even if some issues may be very specific to each individual site.

Hi Arn, Thanks for posting this.

Would you mind keeping a short diary of issued you encountered and how you addressed them?

This kind of information is invaluable for other large boards even if some issues may be very specific to each individual site.

Will do. A lot of the time I've spent is just understanding what is going on, both in the importer code and Xenforo.

arn

Hey all. This is arn from MacRumors.

We use a custom Wordpress for the front page, and we have some slight custom integration with vB, but moving that over to XF shouldn't be a big deal.

I looked at Xenforo last year seriously, but I didn't feel it or we were quite ready. But at this point, there are enough benefits, that we didn't want to keep investing in vB.

arn
Glad to see that it's actually going to happen. You know where to reach me if you need additional help :)

Top Bottom