MacRumor is going to move to XF from VB

Seriously?
Showing Log Out menu for Guest?
Why? :)
upload_2015-5-14_17-50-24.webp

We are finishing up an upgrade to 1.4.7, so there are some things that need fixing but that should be done today! So pardon a bit of clutter here and there! :)

Seems like you getting some good feedback from your members on moving over and that always helps

Without detracting from feedback, by members of MacRumors Forums, to the (1883492) topic above …

… I'll be interested in the opinions of potential members; of non-members who have experience with design transitions; of people here, in this topic.

Around this point in the discussion in MacRumors Forums, we have:
  • pros and cons of breaking with tradition (squares); of replacing those with squares with circles.

Pleasing uses of space

In an earlier post by me, halfway in there's attention to what I perceive to be:
  • wastes of spaces as a consequence of repetition of statistics beneath every appearance of an avatar.
I understand that members who are accustomed to 'wearing' those statistics, badge-like, beneath every appearance of their avatar (in the current arrangement with vBulletin) might be initially upset if those statistics are not immediately visible with the avatar. However …

I see the transition to XenForo as a golden opportunity to both (a) reduce clutter and (b) truly allow greater focus on content – whilst adding the functionality that's inherent to XenForo.

In a nutshell, I'm promoting the 'profile overlay' approach that I see here in XenForo Community. Yes, some members may be initially upset by their statistics being less in-the-face-of other members, but most of those members should realise – sooner or later – the benefits of a profile overlay.

Thoughts?​

If it helps: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21372682#post21372682 includes a collage shared by @arn and a somewhat rushed/lazy mockup by me. (Apologies to @Audentio Design, @arn and others concerned, for messing with things in that way.)

Thanks

If it helps: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21372682#post21372682 includes a collage shared by @arn and a somewhat rushed/lazy mockup by me. (Apologies to @Audentio Design, @arn and others concerned, for messing with things in that way.)

I guess for me there will always be the argument of why you should change anything that is working. Sometimes to me its just pleasant to freshen things up and step outside the norm lest we fall into looking dated and unimpressive. And like others have said about the avatars being rounded or not, many companies like Apple are embracing them, but it will still always come down to preference and for that we won't be able to make everyone happy.

Technically it'd only take us a few minutes to make avatar shape a user setting, but I find that to be well a bit frivolous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom