XF 2.0 [macOS] GitFinder: Git integration with Finder

DragonByte Tech

(Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with GitFinder or ZigZag in any way, nor have I been compensated now or in the past. I provided feedback during the Closed Beta and Open Beta process, but I purchased the release version at full price.)

If you're running Mac OS and you use Git to host your repositories, you may be interested in GitFinder. If you have ever used Windows, you'll probably know about TortoiseGit, which gives you Git commands in the right-click menu in Windows Explorer.

Well, such a tool exists for MacOS too :) You can find the site here: https://gitfinder.com

The main reason why I find this tool useful compared to tools such as GitKraken (I use this for Git-Flow) or Tower (I own this because it existed before GitFinder did) is the ability to see whether I have uncommitted changes without having to individually open every. single. repository. Sometimes, I make sweeping changes across multiple products (either by updating a framework, or by search & replace in folder), and I won't remember which repo I've already committed to.

I've been using GitFinder for a while now, and I quite like it. It sometimes struggles a bit when you point it to a folder with a lot of repositories (137 and counting...) but overall it's pretty solid :)

Fillip

Reactions: Naz
I may try this out.

XF moved from SVN to Git(Hub) at the end of last year and traditionally I just used the VCS client built in to PhpStorm. I was always sort of against having yet another client to deal with on top of everything else and liked the idea of everything being in PhpStorm. But then I started playing with some different clients. I started to like the workflow a little better. I actually hated GitKraken and Tower. I've mostly been using SourceTree by Atlassian but alas it seems quite slow and unstable so definitely happy to try this.

I actually hated GitKraken and Tower.
Why's that? I think they are way less convenient than being able to see statuses at a glance, and GitKraken is very slow to switch repositories, but other than that I found them to be okay.

There's also SnailGit :)
Doesn't appear to have "Commit and push" as an option, and the screenshot doesn't show whether it has commit status when browsing the parent folder to each repository. If you have to open the sub-folder to see the status, that defeats half the point :D

Fillip

and the screenshot doesn't show whether it has commit status when browsing the parent folder to each repository. If you have to open the sub-folder to see the status, that defeats half the point :D
It's included:)
But yeah, have to commit that I'm not sure about commit & push

Why's that? I think they are way less convenient than being able to see statuses at a glance, and GitKraken is very slow to switch repositories, but other than that I found them to be okay.
I just found them somewhat clunky compared to SourceTree.

GitFinder seems ok, though I actually wish it was a proper client with the added bonus of Finder integration. For example I just did a Blame on a file and I forgot which line I wanted to look at (and no find feature in the Blame interface) so I switched to PhpStorm then back to Finder and the Blame window was gone, so I had to trigger Blame on the file again and it had to load it again which took a few seconds etc.

Whereas I'd actually be looking to Cmd + Tab back into the last window that was open (or even Cmd + ` within Finder to the last GitFinder window) but it just seemed to be gone.

Top Bottom