Macbook advice.

leftie

Hi folks, i've just bought a Macbook pro and having never used this os before i am after some advice please.
Can anyone tell me of or post a link to freeware sites for:
1. Something similar to winrar where i can pw protect and split files and which can be opened by rar.
2. ftp programme, currently use ws-ftp
3. A file compare programme, have been using Araxis Merge but a simple one will do.

On another note, i have used Open Office and i know it can be installed on Snow Leopard but is it worthwhile purchasing iwork.

get mso instead of iwork, iwork is
mad.png
you cant really work with iwork thats why there is an i like in ipod, iphone :)

RARmachine can create password-protected archives and extract them, as well. Not free, but well worth the very modest $8 price tag.

I use Transmit 4 for all my FTP needs. Again, not free, it's $29, but Panic is one of the best Mac OS X developers and I really like all their software.

I'd recommend searching the Utilities category in the new Mac App Store, they might have something similar to WinMerge, which I use on Windows. However, I do know that both BBEdit and TextWrangler (a freeware version of BBEdit) can do side-by-side comparisons of any kind of text file.

I know that Transmit is on the Mac App Store, so I'd recommend using that before manually downloading, because then you can take advantage of the cross-licensing and the system-wide updates.

Am i correct in thinking that if i buy something from the app store i can redownload it if i lose the first download for any reason?

+1 on Transmit and TextWrangler. The new Office 2011 has been on sales as of late on Amazon. I picked up my copy for $80.

Try Split and Concat -- that might be suitable for your RAR files.

+1 on Transmit and TextWrangler. The new Office 2011 has been on sales as of late on Amazon. I picked up my copy for $80.

Try Split and Concat -- that might be suitable for your RAR files.

Do i have to run bootcamp to partition the drive for office 2011 or will it run on mac os?

3. FileMerge (free, not included into default installation, but should be on the disk or you can download complete Developer Application package) utility from the Mac Os Developer Applications or Kaleidoscope (shareware, but nice and powerful).

2. I use Forklift

Office 2011 for Mac perfectly works on Mac Os, you don't need to install bootcamp for this

3. FileMerge (free, not included into default installation, but should be on the disk or you can download complete Developer Application package) utility from the Mac Os Developer Applications or Kaleidoscope (shareware, but nice and powerful).

2. I use Forklift

Office 2011 for Mac perfectly works on Mac Os, you don't need to install bootcamp for this

Finally found filemerge on the disc , it looks a good bit of kit, i had to install xcode complete package to get it.

I use FileZilla for FTP which I think was free. And OpenOffice works great on Mac, I can work in documents on both the PC and the Macbook no problems between the two. The reason I stayed with Open Office is because I know whatever new machine I get whether PC or Mac, I can download the Office program for free, and files will work between the two platforms.

I think unrarx can probably accomplish your winrar need.
Not sure about the compare program.
For ftp if you must use ftp I would use transmit that was what I used before I switched to using scp for everything.

Am i correct in thinking that if i buy something from the app store i can redownload it if i lose the first download for any reason?
Yes, once you buy something once in the Mac App Store, it's tied to your account and you can download it as many times you want on as many machines as you want.

Yes, once you buy something once in the Mac App Store, it's tied to your account and you can download it as many times you want on as many machines as you want.

With most of those Apps though they are just simply just encapsulated .app files in the /Applications folder. You should be able to just drag it to an external HDD and back it up that way.

With most of those Apps though they are just simply just encapsulated .app files in the /Applications folder. You should be able to just drag it to an external HDD and back it up that way.
An automated Time Machine back up will back up the App Store, in turn preserving the apps, too.

But the whole point is you don't need to do a backup, because it will always be tied to your account. I wish the iTunes Store worked this way.

Top Bottom