Mac for a beginner

Lee

First off let me just say, before yesterday I had never really used a mac before.

Today I am just as clueless as I was yesterday.

I have installed Zend Server CE - Which I believe gives me a server environment on the mac, correct? Does this come with phpmyadmin installed as default or do I need to configure that separately?

First stupid question, how do I access the localhost?

Second stupid question, where do I save the files so they are displayed in localhost?

Third stupid question, I need a text editor and FTP client. I have got sublime text 2 which I used on windows, and I find to be very useful. But for an FTP client, I am unsure of where to go. Any input?

Ideally, I would like to have xenForo setup as a project in something like eclipse, so I can edit and apply the changes direct to the files and then view them on localhost. I know Kier posted a how to video, but im not sure how to get the localhost to work so its kind of one step ahead of me already. LOL.

Fourth stupid question, I have to add a port on the end of my localhost address to view the zend server admin panel (which I don't know what it does LOL). Is there a way to change it so I can just type my username and it knows where to go? Or configure my root folder to be something like "lee/Sites"?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Please remember if you reply, that I have no experience at all with macs before yesterday and I am getting pretty upset / frustrated that I can't figure out how to make it do what I want! :P

Thanks for the recommendation, Transmit looks excellent. I've installed it.

I would love to get local host working though, i'm trying to get it to look at "leerobson/Sites/" to by the root folder of the web server. Stuck to be honest. All a new learning experience though, i'll get there in the end. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. :)

Screen Shot 2013-04-23 at 22.24.16.webp

I'd like to wholeheartedly recommend MAMP for local dev work. It's really simple and well documented - you just fire it up, put things into the Applications/MAMP/htdocs directory and navigate to http://localhost/ :)

I have installed MAMP and so far it is doing the job perfectly. I have even relocated the htdocs folder successfully :)

Really useful thread this, thanks. I have also just installed MAMP and I can now run php files locally - very handy. I don't do a lot of coding these days but what I have done is usually live on a server and it's scary when the whole site goes down because you missed a ; off the end of a line in PHP. At least now I can safely work off-line :)

Top Bottom