1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac for a beginner

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lee, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

First off let me just say, before yesterday I had never really used a mac before.

Today I am just as clueless as I was yesterday.

I have installed Zend Server CE - Which I believe gives me a server environment on the mac, correct? Does this come with phpmyadmin installed as default or do I need to configure that separately?

First stupid question, how do I access the localhost?

Second stupid question, where do I save the files so they are displayed in localhost?

Third stupid question, I need a text editor and FTP client. I have got sublime text 2 which I used on windows, and I find to be very useful. But for an FTP client, I am unsure of where to go. Any input?

Ideally, I would like to have xenForo setup as a project in something like eclipse, so I can edit and apply the changes direct to the files and then view them on localhost. I know Kier posted a how to video, but im not sure how to get the localhost to work so its kind of one step ahead of me already. LOL.

Fourth stupid question, I have to add a port on the end of my localhost address to view the zend server admin panel (which I don't know what it does LOL). Is there a way to change it so I can just type my username and it knows where to go? Or configure my root folder to be something like "lee/Sites"?

Sorry for the stupid questions. Please remember if you reply, that I have no experience at all with macs before yesterday and I am getting pretty upset / frustrated that I can't figure out how to make it do what I want! :p
  2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Transmit for FTP.
  3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the recommendation, Transmit looks excellent. I've installed it.

I would love to get local host working though, i'm trying to get it to look at "leerobson/Sites/" to by the root folder of the web server. Stuck to be honest. All a new learning experience though, i'll get there in the end. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. :)
  4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

6. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

7. craigiri

craigiri Well-Known Member

I have used Fetch (it's paid) as my FTP program for over a decade and really like it......

But there are plenty of other good ones....

I've used stuff like this before to instantly set up localhost as an apache mysql server.
  8. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

I'd like to wholeheartedly recommend MAMP for local dev work. It's really simple and well documented - you just fire it up, put things into the Applications/MAMP/htdocs directory and navigate to http://localhost/ :)
  9. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

I have installed MAMP and so far it is doing the job perfectly. I have even relocated the htdocs folder successfully :)
    Teapot likes this.
  10. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Really useful thread this, thanks. I have also just installed MAMP and I can now run php files locally - very handy. I don't do a lot of coding these days but what I have done is usually live on a server and it's scary when the whole site goes down because you missed a ; off the end of a line in PHP. At least now I can safely work off-line :)