XF 2.0 Lose "New" Posts Altogether

JamesBrown

I find that "New Posts" always confuses users, and even when they eventually 'get it' they don't like it. In xF2 is it easy enough to make it so that whenever someone clicks on New Posts, they actually get all the Recent Posts whether they've seen them or not? Thanks

First time I've ever heard that. Showing "New posts" as being unread is by far the best way to discover new content.

However, the users can control their defaults themselves.

1511950081549.webp

They would just uncheck "Unread threads" and click "Save as default". Then whenever they go to New posts it will be equivalent to all recent posts rather than only unread ones.

This gives the users the ability to choose what they prefer (there are other options too), but if you would like to totally override it then you would need to modify the navigation entries.

Under Admin CP > Setup > Public navigation you will see "New posts" under Forums and What's new.

Edit both of these and change the link from:
Code:
{{ link('whats-new/posts') }}
To:
Code:
{{ link('whats-new/posts', null, {'skip': 1}) }}
This will skip any filters they've saved themselves though so it effectively forces them to use recent posts rather than their actual preference.

Thanks Chris,

Most of my members are "seniors" and no matter how many times I've explained how New Posts works, Over the years I still must have had 1000 PMs asking "why have you deleted my thread" "I can't find my post" :doh:

It's controlled by code, so that would require an add-on to change -- unless you make various template/navigation changes like Chris suggested (which actually bypasses the user preferences/forum default entirely).

But if I am reading correctly Chris’s code change removes the filtering function entirely, all that is needed here is a way to have the default when you first upgrade to be no filters ticked. Then people who want unread tick that filter.

It seems intuitive that a filtering system should start unfiltered and people then add the filter they want.

Top Bottom