Looking for XenForo optimized hosting for a moderate traffic forum

The idea that they somehow claim it's optimized for XF is simply ridiculous.
I don't think so. GoDaddy hosting doesn't worth a penny..and offers common hosting plans. You forget to consider that optimized hosting may be a hosting plan with SSD disks, right Apache and mysql configuration, a php accelerator and Litespeed for example.

I don't think so. GoDaddy hosting doesn't worth a penny..and offers common hosting plans. You forget to consider that optimized hosting may be a hosting plan with SSD disks, right Apache and mysql configuration, a php accelerator and Litespeed for example.

SSD would fall back to any software. Thats optimization period. You look at apache and mysql configs chances are the host having specialized plans advertised for 2 different boards runs the same config for both so it still seems sketchy.

Last edited:
SSD would fall back to any software. That'd optimization period. You look at apache and mysql configs chances are the host having specialized plans advertised for 2 different boards runs the same config for both so it still seems sketchy.
For me as a customer the difference is clear, that's why some hosting companies are really bad.

You can sign up for a Dedicated server in Hostgator and offer hosting and that doesn't mean you are using SSD disks...

It's the same like "XenForo a forum platform" and "SimplePress, a forum plugin".

Both allow you to create a forum but a serious solution and platform is the one that was specifically designed for forums and not to expand the features of a specific blog platform like Wordpress.

And just to note, there is no such thing as Xenforo optimized hosting

Not 100% true... I agree to your points to some point as it is true about most hosts.

I consider my company xenForo optimized as we are the only host at a shared hosting level to support Elastic/Enhanced Search and the xenForo Litespeed Cache add-on. So yes, my servers are optimized for best xF performance :D

Not 100% true... I agree to your points to some point as it is true about most hosts.

I consider my company xenForo optimized as we are the only host at a shared hosting level to support Elastic/Enhanced Search and the xenForo Litespeed Cache add-on. So yes, my servers are optimized for best xF performance :D

I'll put a XF site on one of my 16 or 32 drive SSD servers and it will outperform all of that hands down any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Are our servers super uber XF optimized? Of course not. They're simply fast servers that are going to run every piece of software well. Saying it's somehow optimized is just plain silly.

ah. i am looking for managed because i am not a terminal guy and want to stay away from doing the installs and upgrades manually. thanks. i have tried using linode in the past... it was quite nice but required self-management which forced me to move to another service provider.
This is my own scenario, I am looking to leave Linode as soon as I've found a XenForo optimised and fully managed VPS, but apart from Nimbus & URLJet hardly any one else claims to be XenForo optimised.

(Nimbus couldn't cope with some add-ons on a previous forum which crashed and URLJet is unjustifiable too expensive)

Any good managed VPS suggestions for a picture-based forum?

This is my own scenario, I am looking to leave Linode as soon as I've found a XenForo optimised and fully managed VPS, but apart from Nimbus & URLJet hardly any one else claims to be XenForo optimised.

(Nimbus couldn't cope with some add-ons on a previous forum which crashed and URLJet is unjustifiable too expensive)

I'll always recommend servint.com for managed VPS. Their support is amazing, they'll do anything you need for you. They're a bit pricy but its well worth it, plus all of their servers are SSD.

When somebody asks for managed hosting, I always question what exactly they don't understand about a VPS/Server. Is it hardening the server security-wise, configuring the OS? What exactly is it? There are plenty of management companies out there that work on an hourly basis. It will take 15-30 minutes to set up and harden a VPS initially. After that, there really isn't much to do. Even if you have to hire them for 30 minutes every 6 months, it's really not that bad.

There are also control panels that do a fairly good job of taking care of the mundane tasks. I know a lot of people don't like using control panels, as it adds to the server overhead, but for $5/mo. (yes...the price of a cup of coffee) you can get DirectAdmin. For the price of taking you and the wife to McDonald's, you can get cPanel. Or Webuzo is a great free control panel. All will take care of some of the security aspects of the server, will allow you to easily configure the OS stuff, and it makes doing things like setting up databases, email addresses, etc. an absolute breeze.

The forum software itself, you should know how to install, update, etc. That's part of the tasks of running a forum. People try to hire folks to update the forum software, and moderate their forums, etc. Why even have a forum if you aren't going to learn the basics? Most managed hosts aren't going to touch 3rd party scripts anyway. Some will, but most won't.

If you really do need a managed provider, Knownhost and WiredTree are very good.

Last edited:
When somebody asks for managed hosting, I always question what exactly they don't understand about a VPS/Server. Is it hardening the server security-wise, configuring the OS? What exactly is it? There are plenty of management companies out there that work on an hourly basis. It will take 15-30 minutes to set up and harden a VPS initially. After that, there really isn't much to do. Even if you have to hire them for 30 minutes every 6 months, it's really not that bad.

There are also control panels that do a fairly good job of taking care of the mundane tasks. I know a lot of people don't like using control panels, as it adds to the server overhead, but for $5/mo. (yes...the price of a cup of coffee) you can get DirectAdmin. For the price of taking you and the wife to McDonald's, you can get cPanel. Or Webuzo is a great free control panel. All will take care of some of the security aspects of the server, will allow you to easily configure the OS stuff, and it makes doing things like setting up databases, email addresses, etc. an absolute breeze.

The forum software itself, you should know how to install, update, etc. That's part of the tasks of running a forum. People try to hire folks to update the forum software, and moderate their forums, etc. Why even have a forum if you aren't going to learn the basics? Most managed hosts aren't going to touch 3rd party scripts anyway. Some will, but most won't.

If you really do need a managed provider, Knownhost and WiredTree are very good.

Thanks - are you an unmanaged service?

Top Bottom