Looking for a new host solid with optimizing xF

Enough is enough.

If people have problems with each other or want to start tit-for tat arguements, you can take it elsewhere, but it won't be happening here.

To have a flurry of tickets and PC's / Skype chats the moment I log on of people complaining about reading this petty arguing is not how I want to start my Sunday morning.

Everyone involved has been warned. Now drop it.

Really for web hosting, load speed matters far more then ping, ping really is only crucial in gaming. With how technology has expanded, in a browser there really is not much difference between 50ms ping and 500ms ping, more so even on larger ports.

I agree with this statement, to an extent. A 500ms ping is pretty bad, unless you're going 1/2 way across the world, though. That's adding a half second of lag to each request, which if your pages are well-crafted and don't have to wait for multiple requests (e.g., due to poorly thought out scripting) it isn't a huge deal and won't make a vast difference (though it is slightly noticeable) to the end user . However, this of course assumes that your bandwidth is reliable, since any packet loss will amplify the latency when data needs to be resent -- this will cause real problems on a high latency connection.

TCP is a flow control protocol, which means that it ramps up and validates its transfer rate every round-trip interval. So, the greater your latency, the longer it is going to take TCP to ramp up to full speed. If you have browsers that have default TCP receive window values, high latency will most likely result in them seeing lower transfer rates than what the available capacity should be affording them.

If you're to assume the same availability of bandwidth between two providers, then the provider 50ms away network wise will be faster than a provider that is 500ms away. It's definitely something people should take into consideration when choosing a host, especially if responsiveness is important to them or their target audience is primarily in one geographical area. The more interactive the web app, the more of an issue it becomes.

Top Bottom