Looking for a name for an Option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence

I'm creating an add-on that allows Admins to set which forum will display signatures and which forums won't. Besides the addition of a couple of new forum options, there are also general options Admins can set. One option is to set a members signature to be viewable only to the member (without them knowing-- for those irritating signatures some members must have and make them even more irritating if someone complains).

The problem is, I do not know what to call the option, lol. Currently, I came up with:

1. "Do not display this freaking signature to anyone but the person who created it": gets the point across to Admins on what it does but might be a character or two, too long.
2. "The Slavik Mode": Gets the point across as well as option one, but if Slavik changes his username here, it would make no sense.
3. "The Big Bunce Theory": it's not a theory, so it would make no sense either (though it has a nice ring to it).
4. "Transmogifier" is already taken, damn.
5. "The Wrath of Kahn": not much of a wrath, IMO.

Any ideas would be welcomed, serious ones more so.

I'm not quite clear from your description if this is a setting per user, per usergroup, or global.

If per user or usergroup - Secretly Hide their Sig.

sigNull - This signature only displays for 1 person: the owner of the signature...it is otherwise null.

something like that?

I'm not quite clear from your description if this is a setting per user, per usergroup, or global.

If per user or usergroup - Secretly Hide their Sig.

I haven't decided yet. Originally I added a setting in the Users General Permissions group: "Signature only Viewable by Member", but how would admins keep track of which users they set that for? I also looked at Admins inputting member ID's into an option, that would work and they can quickly see whose signature is set to not be displayed to anyone but themselves. But I'm leaning towards letting admins pick a group that they can place members in, I think that is the most admin-friendly option.

Slavik, option 2 does work.. but if you change your username... to something like "I like fish"... then what? :p

I been pondering: "The Deeming Chris Factor" :D

Seriously though, I do need a name for it, maybe just "Hidden Signatures Group".

Are you calling me irritating? :cautious:

lol, the day you are considered irritating on this forum is the day the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley cup, :p

Maybe I'll use everyone's suggestion; put them in an array, shuffle it and done...

or "Viewable to Member only Group:" and admins can make a special group for members with ungodly signatures, like perhaps: holycrapthatsignatureisdownrightirritatingandevendungbeetlesfindithardtoswollowbutheyitistheirsignature group.

I need a test group. Showing/Hiding signatures on a forum basis works as intended and took little work to accomplish. The area I am concerned with is show/hide signatures, as there is no hook for that data and the 'message' template isn't available to be called when the template is being rendered, so I had to use the thread_view template; which means a lot of data (and creativity on my part) to sift through to find each <aside></aside> tags surrounding signatures (each quote in posts uses them, and those we do not want to find). I have it working, but need threads with lots of posts and large posts for testing . If you want to test the Forum signature Control add-on let me know.

What is implemented to date: turn off all signatures for forums, select which forum will allow signatures and which do not, and the show/hide signature option. Let me know here if you want to test this add-on, and remember no warranties are given or implied, test at your own risk.

Call it what you want .. but when you give it a title in the Resource section .... keyword stuff it ! So is it findable.

SiggyKiller - Disable / Hide Signature in forums - blah extra words ... more more more.

I will take a look ...i dont have a whole bunch of data as it is a test forum but whatever....nothing like like logging in a bunch of different times :-)

Some info (the plow went by and I had to shovel before I finished the previous post):

Queries: none
Template Edits: none
Forum Options: Show Signatures, and Display the show/hide button
General Options: none added except for turning off all signatures in forums, others will be added
Phrases: Show Signature and Hide Signature has it's own phrase you can change
CSS: the Show & Hide buttons have it's own CSS you can make changes to, to suit your needs: spacing, align left, center, right, etc.

EQNoble, thanks.

I haven't decided yet. Originally I added a setting in the Users General Permissions group: "Signature only Viewable by Member", but how would admins keep track of which users they set that for? I also looked at Admins inputting member ID's into an option, that would work and they can quickly see whose signature is set to not be displayed to anyone but themselves. But I'm leaning towards letting admins pick a group that they can place members in, I think that is the most admin-friendly option.
Why not just a checkbox in the user's profile when an admin edits it that states "Signature only viewable to {username}"?

Why not just a checkbox in the user's profile when an admin edits it that states "Signature only viewable to {username}"?

It wouldn't really be that easy for an admin to find which user he had set that option for. I want it as admin-friendly as possible.

Users have no control, this is for admins only to decide which forums will have signatures and which signatures should be hidden from all members (except the signature owner).
Indeed, I was saying when admins decide which user's signature needs to be hidden from everyone except the user, it would be easier to just edit their profile via the admin CP and have a checkbox that allows you to hide their signature!

Indeed, I was saying when admins decide which user's signature needs to be hidden from everyone except the user, it would be easier to just edit their profile via the admin CP and have a checkbox that allows you to hide their signature!

I figured out what you meant after I replied, sorry James. I changed my reply, :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom