1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logo Opinion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Tracy Perry, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

OK, I have started playing with Illustrator, and found a logo I modified. Opinions welcome.
    logo.png

2. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

The little smiley looks like its on PCP, other than that I can't remember when exactly, but Apple hasn't used their legacy logo colors in at least a decade.

3. Tracy Perry

Yep, but you know how them fanboys are. :p
    The colors are something I am trying out since I'm just learning Illustrator. I like being retro!

4. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

It's alright...but it just looks like too much to me. The rainbow doesn't remind me of Apple (as the current company) right now as it does the old mac computers.

5. Tracy Perry

I've changed the color up a little - but still looking for a better character.
    logo.png

6. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

I'd have the sub text shifted to the right so that it's inline with the end and possible add a little more spacing. Otherwise shaping up nicely. (y)

Edit: increase the sub text font size a little also.

7. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

I think if you're going to use the old Apple Macintosh colours you need clear bands rather than gradients: (y)

ThinkDifferent[1].jpg

8. CyclingTribe

Maybe swap the manic smiley dude for a clipart Apple Mac too?:

mactracker[1].png

So it's visually focused on your target audience - the computer company and its aficionados.

9. Tracy Perry

Colors are still being worked on (getting familiar with gradients, etc), but you mean something like this
    logo.png

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  10. Shelley

If your wanting to get solid multiple gradients, In your gradient settings ensure you pull the clear anchor point towards the colour. The further apart it is the more spread will be implemented, simply drag it towards the colour. :)

colors.png

11. Tracy Perry

Will start exploring... this is the OLD version of Illustrator (when they changed it from PhotoShop), so I know the screens are going to be a little different.
    Thanks!

Shelley likes this.
  12. Shelley

Yeah they will probably differ slightly but it'll be near enough the same for you to tinker with and at least familiarise yourself with it all. Have you started pulling your hair out yet? :D

13. CyclingTribe

Yes, better than the little dude, right? The only thing you've really got to be careful of is using Apple's logos and trademarks (old and new).

That's where the abstact comes in - as a fan site you want to strongly associate with the company / products, but without permission you can't use the key things that identify the company and products - so you've just got to find something that says 'Apple' without using, well, I suppose, the apple ... :)

Perhaps look at the font/s Apple uses and make the typography the glue in your site logo / ID?!! ;)

14. Tracy Perry

My bald spot has gotten larger in the last hour or so. :LOL:

Shelley likes this.
  15. Shelley

Which program are you using? Is it Illustrator or an old copy of photoshop?

16. Tracy Perry

I got that one from findicons.com (site that @Shelley had referred me to earlier) so it's probably OK to use.
    Until I get where I can do a more solid gradient, I've kept the original colors. I've got to go start making chicken and dumplings (for the wife and son - I'm fixing a chuck roast for me), so have to take a pause on working on it.
    The way Apple copyrights everything down to rounded corners, it makes it kind a hard! :ROFLMAO:
    I've got to install some fonts so will look at that. The worst thing is I've got it installed on a 13" laptop, so it's a little harder to do anything on that sucka'. Got to take one of my Linux boxes and install Windows on it I guess.

CyclingTribe and Shelley like this.
  17. Tracy Perry

Actually, after checking, it's Photoshop CS.

Shelley likes this.
  18. Shelley

:ROFLMAO: Oh god whatever you do don't implement a radius you'll have apple lawyers at your door suing you for 1 billion. :LOL: Another bit of advice don't add any white in the logo otherwise you'll have lawyers at your doorstep also. :D

CyclingTribe and Tracy Perry like this.
  19. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

I thought the first logo was awesome lol

20. Tracy Perry

I kinda liked it myself, but @Clickfinity is right, it really needs to reflect the basis of the site. I've got one that I'm using now until I can work on @Shelley suggestion on the gradients. The finder icon actually works well as it's what I use as my default icon on the forum.
    logo.png

I'm thinking of changing the "A discussion area for all things Apple" to "Take a bite of the Apple" ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    DRE, CyclingTribe and wickedstangs like this.