XF 2.0 Logging out on mobile

Kirby

It might be just me, but logging out on mobile seems to be more complicated than on desktop:

Desktop
Click on Username in Header > Ajax Menu loads > Click on Log out

Mobile
Click on Hamburger > Off-Screen Menu opens > Click on Username > New Page loaded > Click on "Your Account Menu" > Off-Screen Menu opens > Click on Log out

Ideally users should never log out anyway, but ... I can forsee getting complaints from ours users.

Quickly updating the user status seems to be even more cumbersome.

Or am I mising a shorter way here?

Last edited:
Or am I mising a shorter way here?
Sort of, but it requires using a mobile with a bigger display ;)

Most mobile devices will still show the user menu which you can tap on and click Logout:

1505428333991.webp

Slightly narrower and you will lose the user menu:

1505428382708.webp

We could lose some of the other icons. Inbox, Alerts, What's New, Search but arguably all of those are going to be more frequently accessed than anything in the menu.

Actually I just tested in Chrome with Galaxy S5 Preset (360 Pixel width, which is by far the most common screen size on our forums (about 40%,if I also count those with 320 its over 50%)

I don't disagree that Inbox and Alerts are more frequently accessed, but as said I can forsee support requests/complaints from our users due to this.

What about adding a Log out-Link to the offscreen menu or turning the username link into an AJAX trigger (just like the icon in the header) if then screen width is too small for showing the user icon?

Last edited:
I've checked this on my Galaxy S7 which has viewport of 360 x 560 in portrait and I don't see the user menu. This is obviously a very popular phone and from reading around, it does appear that 360 in portrait is the most common size currently. It's therefore a shame that it's missing for many mobile users.

Could things be tweaked to make it visible at this viewport size? Tweaking the spacing between the other icons, or reducing the logo size maybe? I think it's likely to be used more than the What's New icon due to the prominence of the New posts button on the forums page on a mobile device.

Yes
I just spent half an hour on my Samsung Galaxy J5 trying to log out, so that i could log in as a Guest (for some testing)
I could not belive how hard (impossoble) it was.
Even following the very good instructions that Kirby (above) posted. (whats an off screen menu)

Then the penny dropped.
If you put your mobile on landscape mode the UserName with the icon appears, and it works just like a desktop.

This is needed not only for logging in or out, but changing your settings eg privavcy, emails etc

Top Bottom