Locked threads still allowing replies.

wonderwall

Hello,

I have the ability to lock threads and it says not open for further replies but members are still allowed to reply. Is there something I need to change?

Thank you in advance.
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.43.13 PM.webp

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 11.52.46 PM.webp

Do the users have the ability to unlock the thread for some reason? Essentially, if a user can unlock a thread, they can reply without unlocking the thread first.

Beyond that, I could only guess an add-on is involved.

I don't know. I looked at our non moderator's user permissions and no moderator actions have been set. I became the president of our org. in Jan. We did not add any add ons at that time and the prior president was able to successfully lock the threads so I have been thinking it's something isolated to me.

Here's what I see for our non mod group permissions -

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.21.46 AM.webp

and here's what I see for my status. Do I have anything listed incorrectly here?
Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 11.32.14 AM.webp

Ok, so I chose the option analyze permissions. When selecting my user name this is what I saw -

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.11.37 PM.webp

and then here's what I showed when selecting a non mod.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 1.18.28 PM.webp

Lastly here's what I show for our add ons -

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 12.03.09 PM.webp

If the analysis for the node is the same then I don't see how they can post in a locked thread.

Have you actually confirmed it by getting them to post, or are you just using the test permissions feature?

Yes, non mod members have been able to reply to my locked threads. That's how I knew it was not working.

I also asked another mod to lock a thread to see if others were able to reply to her locked threads and they could not so it seems to just be me.

Note your main user group is set to "administrative". That may be affecting things. All users should belong to the "Registered" user group and any other user groups should be secondary user groups.

So, I'm guessing the main user groups for all other members are following the same method as yourself.

Of course I could be totally wrong too. ;)

Her user group membership is incidental when it comes to others being able to post on threads she locks.

I have no explanation for it - a locked thread is a locked thread, it doesn't make any difference who locks it so I don't understand why members can post in threads you lock but not in threads other moderators lock.

If you want us to investigate, open a ticket and provide an administrator log in and if you have a test account, the log in for that also.
Otherwise we can create a test account to check what's happening.

Hello again, I have discovered something new and am wondering if this can help you to help me now.

I am able to successfully lock threads where no one can reply outside of our board room forum.

Our trade members in our board room forum have no other permissions than any of our other trade members outside of our board room with the exception that they have permissions to be in our board room forum.

The inherit option is chosen next to lock threads for them.

Is there something different that I have to do to prevent them from replying in this case?

They are not listed as anything else other than trade members and lock threads is not set for them.

Last edited:
I think you must be right. Just looking at the group's permissions they look right. I am thinking that maybe it's the way I have the group or forum set up? I don't know. I'm going to go back and check everything step by step again.

Ok, so I analyzed a trade member who is on the board but not a moderator's permissions for the board room. I am not sure what this means. I do see locking/unlocking threads is not allowed for her however below I see something below that says PRIVATE Board Room 2017 - User Value: Allow Final Value (Content): Yes.

Does that mean that outside of the board room forum she is unable to lock/unlock threads but outside of the board room forum she is not?

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 7.35.17 PM.webp

Ok, so it must that way for all the users in that forum. When I go to my node permissions for that board forum and click trade members the option inherit is chosen for lock/unlock threads. When I choose each member of the board forum same thing; inherit option is chosen for the lock/unlock threads. Do I need to do something else to change it because it seems maybe that they are inheriting that from me? if I understand correctly.

Permissions can be set at the user group and user level, globally and per node.

You will need to track down where you have set them for that user/node combination.

Oy...The user group is set to inherit for the members in the forum.

Then each user within the group is also set to inherit.

I feel like I am going wrong there with those members being set to inherit within the group.

Globally it completely says no for them when I analyze those users.

I am wondering if the way I set up the forum was wrong. I have a title node which is private 2017 board room, then I have a parent node that is private forums, then within the permissions area I have private node checked and I have added the members who are allowed to see.

I thought about removing the parent node so it just says root node.

I read something in the manual about that but I don't know if I interpreted that correctly, if I will be messing the forum up if I do that, or if I choose root node if other members outside of the group will be able to see it.

*Edit - I changed the parent node to root node for a minute and then I could not see the forum at all so I changed it back.

Last edited:
Issue resolved!

Globally users did not have permissions to lock/unlock threads. User group permissions said all users within did not have permissions.

10 users were added to the group which was set to private node and the group's permissions as a whole said users were not allowed to lock/unlock threads.

When checking each user's group permissions individually, 3 out of 10 users entire forum moderator permissions were set to allow which included the lock/unlock threads permissions.

I am not sure how that happened but I am glad I got it fixed.

Thank you all for leading me to the answer.

Top Bottom