• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[LN] Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a bug... I had come across it by accident but then lost it. Is this when you visit your own or someone else's?
just when I visit xfdev.com/entries/ with no entry at all, I had to manually visit it.

Well my site is anime/cosplay so i was of to use it as a tutorial section (had a few people asking for it. including the misses lol)

so
/blog to /tutorials
/entries to /tutorial
Change all the phase's and the job is done :D
I have a request to make it more like vBa Dynamics with a possible use as Blogs, Articles, File Sharing, Product Reviews, etc. There also should be an option for multi-instance installation. I am personally interested in File Sharing, Culinary Recipes and Library. And please make it a paid add-on just like vBadvanced. Onimua, I'll prepay you $100 for starters if you agree.

I have a request to make it more like vBa Dynamics with a possible use as Blogs, Articles, File Sharing, Product Reviews, etc. There also should be an option for multi-instance installation. I am personally interested in File Sharing, Culinary Recipes and Library. And please make it a paid add-on just like vBadvanced. Onimua, I'll prepay you $100 for starters if you agree.
That extends far beyond what I've intended for a "blog", much less something that could easily be put in and made for a v1.0 release (which is what I'm going for at this time). vBa Dynamics is more of a CMS, no?

vBa Dynamics is more of a CMS, no?
No it's not. vBa CMPS is.
vBa Dynamics: http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&productid=7
vBa CMPS: http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&productid=4

For multi-instance, it uses a different table prefix for each instance. It also asks you to choose between Article, File and Blog for intended use when installing.

I understand it's a lot to ask from you at this stage. I don't mind compensating you. I am upping the ante to $200 if you start working on it.

Lack of "Dynamics" and Gallery add-ons are keeping me from converting to XenForo.

No it's not. vBa CMPS is.
vBa Dynamics: http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&productid=7
vBa CMPS: http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&productid=4

For multi-instance, it uses a different table prefix for each instance. It also asks you to choose between Article, File and Blog for intended use when installing.

I understand it's a lot to ask from you at this stage. I don't mind compensating you. I am upping the ante to $200 if you start working on it.

Lack of "Dynamics" and Gallery add-ons are keeping me from converting to XenForo.
Ah, I see what you're saying... it is CMS-like, but instead of one add-on doing it all at once, it's an add-on that does something specific but has all the components in it (just pick which you want when you install). While that is a nice thought, again I'm not going to shift production on what I'm doing now with this add-on at this time. That would probably be something I could do in the future, but at the same time it's likely someone will get there before I do in the meantime.

Right now my focus is creating this add-on and making it to the best of my abilities for version 1.0, and then see what I do next after the stable version is out (1.1 or another add-on).

Right now my focus is creating this add-on and making it to the best of my abilities for version 1.0, and then see what I do next after the stable version is out (1.1 or another add-on).
My experience with vB Blog was not that good. Users just ignored it. IMHO, Forum and Blog are not good neighbors within one community. One overshadows another. It would make more sense to develop Blog as a part of something more versatile and usable. Why waste time this way? Anyway if you change your mind, I am willing to prepay you $300. It's my final try! :)

My experience with vB Blog was not that good. Users just ignored it. IMHO, Forum and Blog are not good neighbors within one community. One overshadows another. In would make more sense to develop Blog as a part of something more versatile and usable. Why waste time this way? Anyway if you change your mind, I am willing to prepay you $300. It's my final try! :)
vB Blog is a horrible example to use because of circumstances surrounding its creation and implementation.

Though I apologize for wasting my time, I'm still going to work on this and release updates for it. :) I feel confident in the way XenForo is built that a number of issues faced with vB Blog won't happen here.

vB Blog is a horrible example to use because of circumstances surrounding its creation and implementation.

Though I apologize for wasting my time, I'm still going to work on this and release updates for it. :) I feel confident in the way XenForo is built that a number of issues faced with vB Blog won't happen here.
Agree!
This has load's or room for improvement! (Oh and there is no way in hell am saying you have done a bad job here lol its great! :D)

In time who know's :) it still is Beta you know :)

Agree!
This has load's or room for improvement! (Oh and there is no way in hell am saying you have done a bad job here lol its great! :D)

In time who know's :) it still is Beta you know :)
I doubt it'll be in final either. ;)

Thing is, even if I did go that route instead, the fact still remains that I'd need to develop and test the blog to make sure it works, and then rinse and repeat for every add-on after before tossing it into a pile similar to vBa Dynamics. Maybe it will happen in the future, maybe someone else will do it first.

It's hard to tell at this point. Let's not forget this is also my first add-on. I don't want to take a huge bite of something I'm just starting to learn to handle at the moment. ;)

I doubt it'll be in final either. ;)

Thing is, even if I did go that route instead, the fact still remains that I'd need to develop and test the blog to make sure it works, and then rinse and repeat for every add-on after before tossing it into a pile similar to vBa Dynamics. Maybe it will happen in the future, maybe someone else will do it first.

It's hard to tell at this point. Let's not forget this is also my first add-on. I don't want to take a huge bite of something I'm just starting to learn to handle at the moment. ;)
Oh i didn't mean you was I was just saying who know's other people could mod it etc... I love the way it is :) Been waiting for something just like this :D

More of a desperation. Really wanna get away from Internet Brands' grip. vBa's Brian seems to be reluctant to do XenDynamics.
Moving from one platform to another takes time, vBa's Brian could be trying to work on one but not getting used to the coding style XenForo requires, that is what I would do, and I wouldn't let my customers know that I was working on it so that I didn't disappoint them if or when I failed. If vBA's Brian were to do XenDynamics I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate Onimua encroaching on his intellectual property, as it were.. Reading your posts you seemed to be trying to get Onimua to halt work on this as a public free mod to opt for an expensive paid one which wouldn't reach as many people, so that's how I saw it as selfish, as it'd basically be putting the needs of the one over the needs of the many, not very community spirited..

I do hope you manage to move away from vBulletin and IB, though.

I do agree with you, there are much much differences between vB & XenForo system and structure, I'm also a vB 4 Publishing Suit license holder, I used it and hatted it, but XenForo is really different, I'm loving it and I believe if you fully integrate this Blog into Xenforo, It would be successful.

So, Keep it up!

Moving from one platform to another takes time, vBa's Brian could be trying to work on one but not getting used to the coding style XenForo requires, that is what I would do, and I wouldn't let my customers know that I was working on it so that I didn't disappoint them if or when I failed. If vBA's Brian were to do XenDynamics I'm sure he wouldn't appreciate Onimua encroaching on his intellectual property, as it were..
Are you smoking something or what? I did't try to entice Onimua to encroach on Brian's intellectual property. Get your facts right. If Brian refuses to code his add-ons for XenForo, someone will eventually do something similar to satisfy the demand. Besides, did PhotoPlog encroach on PhotoPost's property [vB Gallery] by releasing another gallery add-on for vBulletin?

Reading your posts you seemed to be trying to get Onimua to halt work on this as a public free mod to opt for an expensive paid one which wouldn't reach as many people, so that's how I saw it as selfish, as it'd basically be putting the needs of the one over the needs of the many, not very community spirited..
Actually, it's opposite of what you are saying. By making good add-ons a paid option, coders get incensive to maintain development in the long-run instead of being a hit-and-run. Which is often the case. You don't expect programmers not to get compensated for a good quality work [many man hours], right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom