Lack of interest Likes functionality

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

jauburn

In my admittedly limited user testing here, I found that people are confused by the integration of the thumbs up display of the number of likes given and the fact that the user can also "like" something by actually clicking that thumb up image. Worse, because there's a slight delay after clicking it to "like" something, users have a question about whether any "like" was actually received.

By comparison, the Xenforo "like" link does just one thing: it administers a "like." Easy to understand.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
What is the actual suggestion?

Oh, sorry. The suggestion is that the application of a "like" and the display of "number of likes" be separated. But I refrained from providing a specific suggestion because I thought that the description of the "issue" was of more importance. Furthermore, I'm not really qualified to suggest an appropriate remedy.

Now that I think more about it, though, I would argue that as a (new) component of Xenforo, the fundamentals of "liking" and generally communicating should be standardized so that a user does not need, for example, to learn a new way of "liking" something (or doing anything else) in the media gallery. It's just unnecessary friction from a usability standpoint.

the fundamentals of "liking" and generally communicating should be standardized so that a user does not need, for example, to learn a new way of "liking" something (or doing anything else) in the media gallery.
They are standardised. There is an additional way of liking an image, sure, which I assume is what you're talking about:

upload_2015-5-23_23-26-11.webp

But, fundamentally, you can like media in exactly the same way you can like any other content:

upload_2015-5-23_23-27-18.webp

(Note the Unlike link indicating content has already been Liked, just like posts.)

They are standardised. There is an additional way of liking an image, sure, which I assume is what you're talking about:

View attachment 106792

But, fundamentally, you can like media in exactly the same way you can like any other content:

View attachment 106793

(Note the Unlike link indicating content has already been Liked, just like posts.)

Not to belabor this, but in the forum one clicks a "like" link, and she's done. The "like" link doesn't serve a dual function of also showing you how many likes have been received.

But no matter. I've gotten used to this now. I was just giving you the feedback I received here to the switch from "liking" in the forum to "liking" in the media gallery.

There appears to be no way to "like" something from the "new media" (or "recent media") block at the bottom of the forum.

And clicking on an actual image or media item from the block takes you to the item's full page, where it's equally frustrating, if not more so, trying to figure out something so simple as "liking" something.

it's equally frustrating, if not more so
How so?

The content is laid out identically to any other content across many other add-ons and XenForo itself, as demonstrated earlier:

upload_2015-5-24_0-51-48.webp

The "Like" link is basically in the same place it is on a post, profile post, resource, <insert other content type here>.

Top Bottom