Not planned Like should cause an upvote

Mr Lucky

I note on here that people are sometimes liking a suggestion but not voting it up. It would make sense to me that for a suggestion or an answer to question, that a positive reaction should cause a vote to be cast.

Especially (as with my other suggestion: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/voting-system-needs-to-be-more-obvious.182047/, unless it is made more obvious there is a voting system many people won't even know to vote as it's just a number and an arrow tucked way over on the right.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm gonna make a new forum type called 'Anything Goes' and everyone can do anything they like including upvoting and reacting to every single post, adding multiple polls per post and answering all the solutions imaginable, but if your name is @beerForo you're shadow banned forever 😛😉

I bet you $10 this will be an add-on. "Remove Reactions from post #1 of Suggestions"

I thought about how it would impact Q&A forums though, and I would not like that. The same logic would apply, force users to vote and not react (instead). BUT a lot of people will want to react to answers, for sure. Silly answers, etc. And since comments aren't threaded under the answer, a lot of answers are actually comments and no need to restrict reactions there. So if this were to become a function, I could only see it for post #1 of Suggestions, and optional. I can see it in this case (happy now? :D).

It's interesting now this seems to get some support via posts, yet the suggestion has 0 votes and 1 like.

In an ideal world there would be an algorithm that anlayses what people say and comes up with a a conclusion about the popularity of a suggestion.

I respect when Chris says my screenshot showing the issue does not change anything, although would prefer a more numaced recation syste so I could say I like the but yet it somehow makes me also sad

It's interesting now this seems to get some support via posts, yet the suggestion has 0 votes and 1 like.
Because now that it's in the closed suggestion forum it's not possible for myself or anyone else to vote, even though I would (and could have done so on the previous like system)

Another flaw I noticed a while ago, but haven't brought up.

A not planned flag is fair enough, but users should still have the option to vote so that the suggestion can be re-evaluated again further down the line if increased support is shown for it over time.

Eh, I don't think that's a great reason to disable it. Many suggestions here have been active for years. What may be low priority and not planned at one point, may garner traction over time as user desires and requirements change. By disabling the ability for a user late to the suggestion to cast a vote, you're forcing them to make a choice about whether or not they feel it's valid for them to make a brand new suggestion because they feel circumstances may have changed (6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years down the line...), then you end up with duplicate suggestion threads and you lose any discussion and input from the original not planned thread.

And the site owner then loses the ability to revisit any not planned threads and check their ranking to see if there's been a change in user support for it, and decide if they may then want to reconsider the not planned state taking this new data into consideration.

Case in point. Users starting new suggestions because voting is disabled due to a tag. I got a notification for this post in the last 24 hours.

(Please note this is totally coincidental, I had completely forgotten about my suggestion in 2017, 3 years ago., but I think it perfectly illustrates the need for the ability for users to vote further down the line, rather than start new suggestions and hope supporters of the original suggestion revisit the site and show support by casting additional votes)

It says right there on the page that we want people to open a new suggestion.

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

On your own forums it is not required to lock voting based on prefix but it is how we have chosen to manage this forum. Clearly off topic at this point.

I totally see Chris's point. In fact I am happy going forward BUT there is one sort of elephant in the room here:

When you look at all the ongoing suggestions, there are a huge number that have posts saying something along the lines of "you need to like this suggestion in order to help get it implemented"

This is probably still causing quite a few people to react instead of voting.

I'm not suggesting somebody needs to go back over the last 10 years of suggestions and edit of of those posts to say you need to vote :) and sadly I don't think there's an easy way to search and replace with updated instructions.

Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 11.51.48.webp

Last edited:
It's not clearly happening.

I just checked a bunch in the database and in most cases the likes are duplications from users who have also upvoted.

Why not let people express both a reaction and an upvote if they wish to?

What if a "Wow" reaction (which wouldn't have been counted at all previously, btw, as it's neutral) is the reaction a suggestion invokes in someone, and they support the suggestion? Why should they not be able to do that?

I know it's hard to determine intent unless you ask the user but I am seeing this in Suggestions here and on my sites as well.

1651182658291.png

PS. Not sure of the "solution" to this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom