Light It Up Blue

Thanks darlin'.

You're welcome, hon... btw are you aware of Jessica Kingsley Publishers?

You prolly are, but just in case, I thought I'd mention that wonderful resource.
It's a UK publishing company that devotes itself exclusively to publishing research-, guide-, and resource publications (books, videos) in support of assisting people with autism and those who support and love them.

All the best to you and yours,
HJ, MA Psychology

You're welcome, hon... btw are you aware of Jessica Kingsley Publishers?

You prolly are, but just in case, I thought I'd mention that wonderful resource.
It's a UK publishing company that devotes itself exclusively to publishing research-, guide-, and resource publications (books, videos) in support of assisting people with autism and those who support and love them.

All the best to you and yours,
HJ, MA Psychology
Yes I sure am. They are wonderful. I usually go for the videos, as my son can and does watch them as well. He's more of a visual learner (as I am) rather than a reading learner. Less chance of distraction. It's amazing the stats on Autism, Aspergers, and other neurobiological disorders that he can rattle off.

Anyway, I would recommend this publisher to anyone in the field of, or who has a loved one with, autism.

My friend took it upon himself to design a couple of avatars for the Light It Up Blue campaign. If you'd like to use them on your forums, or here, or Facebook, etc. please feel free to do so. You can use mine as well. :)

liubAV2.webp
liubAV.webp

April is Autism Awareness Month. However, more important to me, is that World Autism Awareness Day is April 2nd, 2011.

An organization called Autism Speaks is one of the founders of this cause, Light It Up Blue, to spread awareness of autism and to commemorate WAAD.

Here are some facts for you..... 6 years ago, 1 in 150 children were diagnosed with Autism.
Those stats today are alarmingly different. 1 in 110 children are being diagnosed with some form of Autism.
One in 70 of those diagnosed, are boys. 1 in 70.

Why am I posting about this here? This is very personal for me.

You see, my 11 yr old son, Ed, is one of those 1 in 70 boys. Ed was diagnosed with several disorders on the Autism spectrum, 6 yrs ago when he was 5 yrs old. Mainly he has Asperger Syndrome, sensory processing disorder, severe anxiety disorder, Obsessive/Compulsive disorder - all disorders associated with Autism.

Yet he is a very high-functioning little guy. Extremely intelligent (his IQ test 3 years ago scored 152), computer savvy, makes straight A's in school, is completely obsessed with anything electronic - computers, iPod, DSi, Wii - and loves to study science, and weather.

To just spend casual time with him, you'd never know he's autistic. He's fun, affectionate, has a vocabulary that astounds his teachers on a daily basis (asperger kids are often referred to as "little professors" because of their extended and adult vocabulary), and is a joy to be around. You'd have to live with him 24/7 to know of his (what are often referred to as) oddities, idiosyncrasies, and obsessions.

Now that I've babbled on, I have a favor to ask.

I'm asking each of you to please join me in participating in Light It Up Blue, commemorating World Autism Awareness Day, on April 2. It's very easy to participate. All you have to do is 1- Wear something blue that day. OR 2 - change your outside light bulbs to blue bulbs and let 'em shine. That's it.

Please check out this website - http://www.lightitupblue.org. It really is a world effort. Buildings such as the Empire State building, the Sears Tower, the Statue of Liberty, most state capitols, the Eiffel Tower, Most US Embassies, and many other capitols around the world participate in Light It Up Blue. Also on that site you see how you can spread the word via FB, and you'll even find an iPhone app!

SO I'm asking you, in honor of my son, and all the children (and adults) diagnosed with Autism disorders.....

Will you join me, my friends?
OCD isn't considered to be autism, while OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder) is, though most people who have OCPD often get diagnosed as OCD as they are similar in some ways.

I didn't say that OCD is autism. I said it is a disorder associated with autism, as all three of my son's psychiatrists have stated to us.
When I say "assiociated with", I mean that many children with autism are also diagnosed with OCD, just as many children with Asperger Syndrome are also diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I'm sure that it's known that one can have both disorders without Autism.

My son is diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, severe anxiety disorder, sensory processing disorder, and OCD.

I will attempt to wear something blue on april second, however I do not see the point in this? It raises awareness how? All the people in my town will see is a blue shirt, they're not gonna ask why I'm wearing a blue shirt, a blue shirt isn't a special item, blue isn't a special color. In the UK we have cancer awareness day (i am not sure if it is international) and everyone wears pink because it is bright, vivid, and makes people ask "Why is that man wearing pink?"

So yes, Peggy, for your son I will endeavor to wear something blue, but I fail to see how it raises awareness. Should be a neon green or something which is eye catching IMO.

I will attempt to wear something blue on april second, however I do not see the point in this? It raises awareness how? All the people in my town will see is a blue shirt, they're not gonna ask why I'm wearing a blue shirt, a blue shirt isn't a special item, blue isn't a special color. In the UK we have cancer awareness day (i am not sure if it is international) and everyone wears pink because it is bright, vivid, and makes people ask "Why is that man wearing pink?"

So yes, Peggy, for your son I will endeavor to wear something blue, but I fail to see how it raises awareness. Should be a neon green or something which is eye catching IMO.
I don't know either Mikey. Changing the lightbulbs to blue or wearing the puzzle lapel pin does have more of an impact, and that is the primary focus of the campaign, but they ask that people wear blue at the very least. However, for those of us who do know why you're wearing blue, I say thank you Mikey from the bottom of my heart.

My son has been reading this thread, and is very touched by the posts here. That's enough for me. :)

Yep we have cancer awareness day over here.
Funny, our president will light the White House gardens up pink for cancer awareness, but won't join the capitols of countries all over the world, in lighting them up blue for autism awareness. :rolleyes:

That is a wonderful country , with friendly people, Peggy!
Two more days to go for the blue lights!
G'day to all!
My lights are already changed to blue and shining proudly. I couldn't wait!
Already had 2 neighbors ask about the blue lights, and when I told them, they went out and got them too. The four houses at our little intersection here all now have blue porch lights. :D

My lights are already changed to blue and shining proudly. I couldn't wait!
Already had 2 neighbors ask about the blue lights, and when I told them, they went out and got them too. The four houses at our little intersection here all now have blue porch lights. :D
Pics or it didn't happen!

Plug in the blue bulbs! Get out the blue shirts! Pin on the puzzle pins!
Tomorrow (Saturday) is World Autism Awareness Day! Help me to commemorate this day, in honor of my son, and all the other people who are diagnosed with some form of autism.

Thanks SO much for joining me in this!

A video worth watching, altho some of it may be hard to read.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

THIS is so awesome!

Tonight, Autism Speaks, North America’s largest autism science and advocacy organization, will kick-off its 2nd annual Light It Up Blue (LIUB) campaign – a unique global initiative to celebrate World Autism Awareness Day and help raise funds and awareness of autism as a growing public health crisis.

More than 1000 structures in over 180 U.S. cities and 30 countries will join Autism Speaks to shine a bright light on autism. Iconic landmarks around the world – including the Empire State Building and the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York City, the Willis Tower in Chicago, Universal Studios in Hollywood and Orlando, STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, along with the Niagara Falls and CN Tower in Canada, Gano Bhabon, the Official Residence of the Prime Minister and hundreds of other buildings in Bangladesh, Christ the Redeemer Statue in Brazil and the Sydney Opera House in Australia – as well as airports, bridges, museums, concert halls, schools/universities, restaurants, and retail stores, will light up in bright blue this evening to help kick off Autism Awareness Month and celebrate World Autism Awareness Day on April 2.

Read More...

Reprinted from Tishman Speyer In the News
used by permission

Top Bottom