License Display and Association

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not a add on developer though, so hes just sticking his nose in to something that's not his concern. Whats his ulterior motive?
The Xenforo team are fully capable to come up with a solution on their own terms, which I'd support.
He sells resources that he has funded development on, so he's also protecting himself. He is also close to quite a few developers and has probably purchased products from the majority of major resource providers here to support their work.

I don't see why you're so against someone making a proposal. It is completely XenForo's decision if they implement the changes or not, and these changes addressed all of the arguments people made in the past, even most of yours. It's more like you have some sort of personal vendetta against Stewart now for no reason, which is just completely childish.

Because a multi-page thread is a pain in the arse to search for one specific member, who may, or may not have a license at this point.

So... apart form save a few seconds of time... it accomplishes...........?

....are you potentially going to turn these people down because they wish to have their privacy maintained?

Me personally, yes.... I would. I cannot see what the HUGE deal is of having it shown for others... I don't see how its this gigantor issue of "privacy". Pfffft.

What would stop someone from adding a name to a license, and removing another one so only 1 is shown, same problem then occurs. Unless, you wanted to start adding user history also?

Me personally, yes.... I would. I cannot see what the HUGE deal is of having it shown for others... I don't see how its this gigantor issue of "privacy". Pfffft.

I know first hand of more than a few people on this forum who would rather not have names linked together. You might not think it is a big privacy issue, there are a lot of others who disagree with you.

I fail to see where privacy comes into play. It's not personal information that's being requested. The fact that you own a license, or are associated with a license holder doesn't even come CLOSE to disseminating privacy information.

What would stop someone from adding a name to a license, and removing another one so only 1 is shown, same problem then occurs. Unless, you wanted to start adding user history also?

How? If the name is removed, it loses the "associated" title. Seems pretty simple to me. Plus, if and when a dev sells to the associate, they know who the main "license holder" is. Checks and balances. Not sure how you cannot see this.

I know first hand of more than a few people on this forum who would rather not have names linked together. You might not think it is a big privacy issue, there are a lot of others who disagree with you.

They trust them enough to work on their site, but yet don't want anyone to know they are? Makes sense to me. Plus, would eliminate all these bull "alternate" accounts.

It's not personal information that's being requested. The fact that you own a license, or are associated with a license holder doesn't even come CLOSE to disseminating privacy information.

Agree.

If that is the case, heck... "Well-Known Member" is private information for me. I prefer to not let everyone know that.... :rolleyes:

Exactly, someone wishing for privacy doesn't mean they are up to no good by default. Many legit sites use private whois registering, many sites purchase branding free..

Again, that's up to the developer to decide. If they're not willing to make alternate arrangements for verification, that's their decision.

And private domain registrations or branding free is no more than a red herring. Doesn't apply to the issue at hand at all. Nowhere have I seen in this thread that private information is being disclosed. The fact that you own a license, or are associated with a license holder doesn't even come close to the realm of privacy information.

Then what about simple showing if the member is "Licensed"?

license2.webp

That is simple enough. Then, regardless of if others are posting in threads attempting to purchase anything, if a developer wants more information, they can simply PM and chat with the license holder after they are told who it is.

At least this gives the developers something.

The fact that you own a license, or are associated with a license holder doesn't even come close to the realm of privacy information.

And what about some of the big sites that don't disclose whom their full time developers are, now suddenly they are listed as associated with your account? What if they have a non=disclosure? Now their employer just broke that agreement by them suddenly listed on their account.

Even though personally I have no one associated on my account, it is no ones damn business who I do, this is coming from someone that purchases many add-ons too. This idea is unrealistic due to the many legal issues behind it. No other forum software does this and I see no reason it is needed here either. Creating new thread after new thread about it isn't going to change it.

Ok tell me how you would handle these 3 situations.

1) Bob hires Billy to be an admin on his site. Because Billy needs to do things like buy and update addons, Bob adds Billy to his license. All goes well. However, one night Billy and Bob have an arguement. Billy goes and shares all of Bobs paid addons. Because the devs know Billy and Bob worked together, Bob gets "blacklisted" and can no longer purchase premium addons, even though it isn't his fault for Billys actions.

2) Tom is a common poster on XF.com. One day he has a public, undignified arguement and creates a bad reputation for himself. Tom wishes to leave, and re-join the XenForo community under a new name. However, because his new name will automatically link to his old account as Tom, he no longer can.

3) James and Paul are business partners with 1 XenForo license, however nobody outside of the business knows that James and Paul are partners and they wish to keep it that way. How do they deal with this.

And the whole "opt-in" option is a joke. There should be no opt-in. It should be shown, period.

Also, license holder = NAME OF USER THAT HAS EMAIL tied to that account. There is a huge difference, but I think we all realize that by now.

Ok tell me how you would handle these 3 situations.

1) Bob hires Billy to be an admin on his site. Because Billy needs to do things like buy and update addons, Bob adds Billy to his license. All goes well. However, one night Billy and Bob have an arguement. Billy goes and shares all of Bobs paid addons. Because the devs know Billy and Bob worked together, Bob gets "blacklisted" and can no longer purchase premium addons, even though it isn't his fault for Billys actions.

2) Tom is a common poster on XF.com. One day he has a public, undignified arguement and creates a bad reputation for himself. Tom wishes to leave, and re-join the XenForo community under a new name. However, because his new name will automatically link to his old account as Tom, he no longer can.

3) James and Paul are business partners with 1 XenForo license, however nobody outside of the business knows that James and Paul are partners and they wish to keep it that way. How do they deal with this.

1. Bob needs to find better admins. Even if I have the most extreme blowup with those that I work with, I would not throw them under the bus like that.
2. Post under regular name, change your ways. Your actions under your current name would mean much more than creating an "alt".
3. Share same login.

And the whole "opt-in" option is a joke. There should be no opt-in. It should be shown, period.

Also, license holder = NAME OF USER THAT HAS EMAIL tied to that account. There is a huge difference, but I think we all realize that by now.

You are wrong. Period.

If I want to add one of my Admins, Mods or Devs here on XenForo to do various tasks, its nobodies business except mine to show if they are linked to my account or not. Period.

A simple way to show that a customer is licensed is being used over at XenForo's direct competitor, Invision Power Services.
Снимок экрана 2013-03-31 в 18.51.12.webp

I have yet to see one complaint about it. At here, it seems like a big fuss about such a simple feature. :cautious:

At the end, it is not up for us but the developers on if they want to implement this.

Again....we come to the same thing in this duplicate thread basically...and again no compromise.

I already said I have no problem with an api returning you a 0 or a 1 saying I am licensed or not...I also have no problem with you getting a 0 or a 1 saying a member is associated with someone in general...but who they are associated with is their business.

I already said it is fine to differentiate between a license holder and an associated member...however that is as far as it is acceptable. Listing who is associated with my account is way beyond the scope of what I think you should know about me. I trust xf with my info...not you and certainly not every random person who wants to snoop around.

If you want to turn people down for not sharing their info that is your damn business...and most definitely not my problem. In my country the needs of your business seriously hold no weight compared to my privacy and seeing that I have not engaged in business with you, you have no rights to my information, I simply don't trust you...if I want you to know who is associated with me...it is up to me to tell you.

You can always just deny me the sale of your products if that suits you, but you are asking xf to join your crusade and take your side against my rights to privacy.

Agree.

If that is the case, heck... "Well-Known Member" is private information for me. I prefer to not let everyone know that.... :rolleyes:
That is a circular argument, with no real validity. I can see you are a well known member simply by your stats...since that IS how you became a well known member, even without the super imposed title your stats reflect the same info.

You are asking to display NEW information that I did not agree to, if you are asking to see my associated list.

There is a huge difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom