1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Length of Search String?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by vFranky, Jan 14, 2016.

1. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

Hallo,

I have set the minimum length of searchable strings to 4. But we have lots of product names which are even smaller. What can I do? Would XenForo Enhanced Search offer more options which can help here?

Kind regards and thank you in advance
    Frank

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, there's no minimum word length with Elastic Search.

vFranky likes this.
  3. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

But is some customization possible with Elastic Search, for example exclude wordlists like "the, we, can ..."?
    Does anyone use Elastic Search?

4. Chris D

Just to be clear, I was talking about XenForo Enhanced Search. Lots of people use it, we use it here. It is based around an application called Elastic Search which is much more advanced than the built in MySQL search. From our product page:

5. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

Thank you!

Is it a lot effort to get it up and running?
    Is it possible to switch back to normal search if necessary?

6. Chris D

There are guides on how to install Elastic Search floating around the RM or forum I think. They may actually be authored by @Slavik.

Yes, you can switch back to normal search by disabling the Enhanced Search add-on.

7. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

What do I have to buy to use XenForo Enhanced Search?

a) XenForo Enhanced Search License!
    b) some Product from Elastic Search?
    c) ?

8. Chris D

a)

Elastic Search is free - you just need to ensure you have the access to your server to be able to install it.

vFranky likes this.
  9. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

Thank you! Enhanced Search is up and running! (y)

Question => Are there any operators which I can use in the searchbox, AND or OR for example? Or something like that?
    Are there parameters for optimization? Or some useful configuration or optimization?

10. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Optimization is really only within Elasticsearch, though you can choose the "optimize index" option in the Elasticsearch Setup area to help reduce memory usage.

AND is the default operator, you can use "-" for NOT and "|" to separate OR options.

vFranky likes this.
  11. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

Is there any documentation for usage we can use?

12. Mike

I'm not clear on the exact documentation you're referring to. For XF Enhanced Search in general, or search support? In terms of search support, beyond "quoted strings", what I mentioned previously is all we support.

vFranky likes this.
  13. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

Thank you!

14. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

Question => Is it possible to use Elasticsearch for more then one XenForo installation on one and the same server? Do each forum use own Elasticsearch data?

15. Mike

Yes, each installation would go into a separate index automatically.

vFranky likes this.
  16. vFranky

vFranky Active Member

perfect, thank you