Fixed Legit attachments sometimes marked as "unassociated" and disappear after 24 hours

Because there are no 3rd party addons here, I have now reported this as a bug

I was just about to report that..

Message in the thread...

1613063635086.webp

Email notification:

1613063667338.webp

It would be interesting to see if @Brogan could check the attachments to see if your image is 'Unassociated'

It would be interesting to see if @Brogan could check the attachments to see if your image is 'Unassociated'
Well it did behave exactly like the unassociated attachments on my forum, ie leaving behind the attachment link in the post which just goes to

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

The day after I upgraded from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 patch 1, myself and many of my members have experienced intermittent issues with attachments.

You upload an image, insert it into the post, it would look fine, then after you post the message only a link would show for the image, which leads to a page that says "you don't have permission to view this page".

Two members and I are using Chrome Version 88.0.4324.150 on Win 10. I am waiting for more browser info from a few others.

Seems like others are having a similar issue too.

As I stated before, this isn't something that can be reproduced here so we're not currently thinking this is a bug.

If the attachment is not being associated, it is possible that is an add-on that is a cause. If you can get a reliable set of steps that will reproduce the issue with specific attachments then we can look into it further, but ideally you'd also test that reproduction case on your own site with and without add-ons enabled to see if anything changes.

We're still tracking @Mr Lucky's report as a bug because of the "message content too long" component which is likely the specific cause in that case, but not necessarily the cause in this case.

That's the bug that Mr Lucky has reported.

It's a side effect of the message too long error.

Not sure what is too long about the message. No one is getting any errors about messages too long on my site.

One person only uploaded two photos and no text in the message. The other person had 4 words and one uploaded photo.

Yes. Hence why I believe your issue to be entirely unrelated...

I just went through 7 days (184 pages / 3,664 items ) of attachments in the ACP prior to me updating to 2.2.3 patch 1 from 2.2.2 and did not find any unassociated attachments. I'm confident that it started after the upgrade.

With all add-ons disabled, I'm still getting reports that it is happening.

After it happened, the person edited the post, deleted the dead attachment link, re-uploaded the same photo, and it worked fine. So far it's been using Chrome on both mobile devices and Win 10. No reports of any other browsers yet.

We also have that issue on our forum.
I don't have answer from any User but, here two of them.

• win10 / Firefox 85.0.2
  • Iphone and ipad / Safari current version

I finally upgraded my forum to XF 2.2 from 2.1 12 hours ago and I got today my first case of this as a member complained about not being able to share an attachment.

1613572107227.png

The other big change is I jumped from PHP 7.3 to 7.4.

@All

Anyone who has this problem, are you running PHP 7.3 or lower? Or 7.4?

@Masetrix
I am also on 7.4.15 now. Switched to it not 12 hours ago.
What do you mean that your upload memory was too small? Can you tell me what it is so I can check it?

@All

Anyone who has this problem, are you running PHP 7.3 or lower? Or 7.4?

@Masetrix
I am also on 7.4.15 now. Switched to it not 12 hours ago.
What do you mean that your upload memory was too small? Can you tell me what it is so I can check it?

I have this problem also since upgrading to 2.2.3 from 2.2.2 Here are my specs.

PHP version 7.4.15
MySQL version 10.3.27 (10.3.27-MariaDB)
PHP memory_limit 512M
PHP post_max_size 20M
PHP upload_max_filesize 20M

Last edited:
My feeling is like that PHP 7.4 is the main problem here and I think that is the common denominator here as I also run 7.4.15.
If all other people could answer then we might be on the right track.

Top Bottom