1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving MaxCDN for CDNify

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by The Dark Wizard, Jan 4, 2014.

1. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

I constantly keep getting asked about my set, and various things I do on RPdom.

Review for CDNify incoming soon.
  2. Claudio

Claudio Well-Known Member

Any news to share with the community?
  3. The Dark Wizard

Yeah sorry.

Essentially we have seen a massive increase in performance for many users. (CDNify has way more locations, so more members are pleased). Its also way cheaper, its not a secret that MaxCDN is one of the most expensive in the market. Ultimately we are extremely pleased with the service and their support staff and the attention and care they gave us.

I've had a few bad experiences with MaxCDN.

A proper review will come up soon. I've been sick with the Flu so I haven't been able to focus on anything, sorry.

However short story: CDNify is worth your time. They are more friendly to smaller online presences, like forums, etc. MaxCDN is more for companies and the such.
  4. Claudio

Thanks for your testimonial :)
    Have you considered Cloudflare.com? I've read they show websites are offline to show their advertisements when they aren't so I'm not sure to go on with CF
  5. The Dark Wizard

I've heard of that as well.

I wouldn't use Cloudflare as a CDN, you should only really consider them if you are having DDoS issues.
  6. dvsDave

dvsDave Well-Known Member

We used cloudflare for a couple of years, and we found too many false-positives for it's anti-spam service and it would occasionally interfere with uploads. It just got to be too much of a hassle.
    Claudio likes this.
  7. nodle

nodle Well-Known Member

I don't know why Cloudflare gets such a bad rap. I have had nothing but a positive experience with it. My site is nice and fast. Plus it's free.
    RastaLulz likes this.
  8. dvsDave

So, I'm very interested in how you setup CDNify with xenforo.
  9. The Dark Wizard

I can make a guide on it, its pretty simple. It just involves editting two lines in the xF config file just like any other CDN provider.
  10. dvsDave

that would be awesome.
  11. Claudio

Yes please, at least will help a lot of members.
  12. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

http://www.cdn77.com/ is another, well regarded and recommended, CDN that is great for forums etc. I trialled CDNify too, but found a better cache hit rate (0ver 85%) with CDN77, plus their POPs have a better global distribution suitable for my audience. There's even an add-on for CDN77 using their API allowing you to monitor from your XF CP
    MattW likes this.
  13. The Dark Wizard

Both providers use the federated OnApp CDN network to serve their customers(essentially resellers). There really shouldn't be a difference. Except in pricing because one or the other might have better deals with OnApp, put in more money from their own pockets to make it cheaper for customers, etc.
  14. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

Just the fact that it'll randomly claim your site is offline and show a cloud flare page. It does that a lot, it's widely reported.

Their setup is great if you're being DDos'd. It's absolute crap the rest of the time. Turn it off for a week and watch your traffic increase.
    RoldanLT likes this.
  15. dvsDave

So, which config lines need to be edited?
  16. The Dark Wizard

Just add

$config['javaScriptUrl'] = 'http://yourcdn.blah/js';
    $config['externalDataUrl'] = 'http://yourcdn.blah/data';
    We setup ours for example to be j.rpdom.com/js and d.rpdom.com/data for those and for static images that we manually insert into the style, we use i.rpdom.com

I'll make a proper guide soon, still pretty sick :(
    dvsDave and RoldanLT like this.
  17. dvsDave

Do you do anything for your styles directory?
  18. The Dark Wizard

In the ACP under style properties wher eth epath to the directory is handled, I just use an absolute path.

Instead of /blah/stylepath

I force it to be http://i.rpdom.com/blah/stylepath and it serves everything in the style through the CDN.

I'll make sure to properly include that in the guide :)
  19. Dinh Thanh

Dinh Thanh Well-Known Member

p4guru and MattW like this.
  20. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Well-Known Member

What is your server setup? Hardware and software wise.