Not planned Latest Version of Redactor

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Whoops, done! ;)thumbsup.webp
Btw, few months ago I've asked about the tooltips in redactor here:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-add-xf-tooltips-in-redactor-buttons.98741/
We have this now:
aaa3-gif.106952

But this is more cool:
aaa2-gif.106953

aaa1-gif.106954

Any idea? Thanks!

The editor may well support tables but XF doesn't currently have a table BB code. Therefore even if we implemented the new version of Redactor it may well not include the table functionality.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the version of Redactor we are based on includes an interface to create tables but we don't expose it because we don't support tables.

Aside from anything, the editor is heavily modified for our needs and therefore replacing the editor is essentially a rewrite, rather than an in place upgrade. It also currently provides compatibility with IE8 which we are currently still supporting.

Aside from anything, the editor is heavily modified for our needs and therefore replacing the editor is essentially a rewrite, rather than an in place upgrade. It also currently provides compatibility with IE8 which we are currently still supporting.

Since 2.0 is a decent rewrite, does that mean the Editor will get looked at? Would be neat if xF modified Redactor for its own needs but based on a newer version.

Not necessarily. The current editor has had a lot of time invested in it, it works and is backwards compatible with older browsers which to a certain extent may still be desirable, even in XF2. No decisions have been made yet of course so this is a valid suggestion but assumptions that we will change the editor or support all of the editor's features out of the box may be wrong.

Not necessarily. The current editor has had a lot of time invested in it, it works and is backwards compatible with older browsers which to a certain extent may still be desirable, even in XF2. No decisions have been made yet of course so this is a valid suggestion but assumptions that we will change the editor or support all of the editor's features out of the box may be wrong.

Fair enough, I can understand what you are saying.

Hopefully it will be something you guys take a look at.

The current editor has had a lot of time invested in it, it works and is backwards compatible with older browsers which to a certain extent may still be desirable

Apart from this would you be able to educate/explain what else are the advantages of using the old modded version/what xF has done?

I'm sure the more experienced users with editors have already figured this out since there are some addons in the RM that let you change the editor.

I could similarly counter that with a rhetorical question: "What are the advantages of moving to a new version of Redactor or <insert other editor here>?"

It's probably not the best time to have this conversation, but I thought it was useful to point out that the reasons for desiring an updated version of Redactor were somewhat flawed. You want tables, but a new version of Redactor won't give you that automatically.

Ultimately, if there are advantages of moving to a different editor, we will, if there's not, we won't. For now, we'll have to wait and see :)

Do you keep an eye on the Redactor Changelog and fix XenForos modified version accordingly if they list a bug that exists in XenForos version as well? Maybe a trivial question, but I'm curious.

I could similarly counter that with a rhetorical question: "What are the advantages of moving to a new version of Redactor or <insert other editor here>?"

It's probably not the best time to have this conversation, but I thought it was useful to point out that the reasons for desiring an updated version of Redactor were somewhat flawed. You want tables, but a new version of Redactor won't give you that automatically.

Ultimately, if there are advantages of moving to a different editor, we will, if there's not, we won't. For now, we'll have to wait and see :)

Senpai knows best :)

I guess we can mark this as "Not planned" seeing as XF 2.0 is no longer using Redactor.

The good news is we're now using an editor named Froala which on the whole so far we've found much simpler to work with in the majority of cases and have had to rely less on various code edits/patches like we did with previous editors.

The end result is an editor which, when updated by its developer, we can usually just roll that out without any sort of headache. The developer has also been responsive to bug reports and requests for change so (y) all round!

I guess we can mark this as "Not planned" seeing as XF 2.0 is no longer using Redactor.

The good news is we're now using an editor named Froala which on the whole so far we've found much simpler to work with in the majority of cases and have had to rely less on various code edits/patches like we did with previous editors.

The end result is an editor which, when updated by its developer, we can usually just roll that out without any sort of headache. The developer has also been responsive to bug reports and requests for change so (y) all round!

:).

I'm glad.

Top Bottom