Lack of interest "Latest posts" link in navigation

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
On CTA a link was added to the forum nav which showed all threads with new posts in chronological order based on the timestamp of the most recent post. This included threads with both read and unread posts.

It was removed as it's not in the core and you have some upgrades coming.

Would it be possible to add this feature into the core as it was a very nice and highly used feature?

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Why add it to core when it takes all of about 2 minutes to modify the template to do this? The Nav tab is valuable (and limited) space and having it as a default would not be my preferred way of doing it. Maybe having it as a sublink off the forum Nav tab with a definable date range (like last 2 days, last 7 days, etc).

It gives all threads, read and unread.

Which is different from the standard What's New, which only returns unread threads.

I have discovered, since removing it from the nav bar, that some people actually used it instead of What's New.

It gives all threads, read and unread.

Which is different from the standard What's New, which only returns unread threads.

I have discovered, since removing it from the nav bar, that some people actually used it instead of What's New.
I realize that.. what I was referring to was that I "assumed" that your link pointed at an actual resource instead of displaying the ability. :D

Oh no, that was the actual URL used in the nav bar link :D
Obviously with my site domain rather than xenforo.com.

There is some confusion around naming conventions for these links, too.

The link in the nav is labelled "What's new" and takes you to a page titled "New threads" which actually shows threads by new unread posts.
On that page there is a link labelled "All recent messages" which takes you to a page titled "Recent posts" which actually shows you threads by order order of posts.

May I suggest the following changes:
  • Nav item to link to page currently named "Recent posts"
  • Rename "Recent posts" as "New posts" or "Latest posts"
  • Link added in position of "All recent messages" link on both pages labelled "Hide read posts" and "Show read posts" linking back and forth between what is currently "Recent posts" and "New posts"
This removes the reference of "messages" which is confusing and means that posts are always called posts and threads are always called threads. It also removes an extra step to navigate to a list of latest posts which includes read posts meaning that the user can then apply a filter if they want to rather than remove an automatically replied filter.

Sorry. I have even got myself mixed up there. Where I mention pages currently named "Recent posts" and "New posts" I actually mean "Recent threads" and "New threads". "Recent posts" and "New posts" is what I am suggesting that they should be.

Top Bottom