Language Nodes

Alpha1

For sites that cater to multiple languages and countries xenforo is challenging because there is no multilingual solution. The problem is this:

We cater to specific groups of members who are interested in content from one, two or more languages, but are likely not interested in content in other languages. For example: if a forum has both English and Chinese nodes, then likely the English member will not want to see Chinese threads/content.

I suggest this:
Allow admin to add additional languages in admincp. The main language will stay the same.
Let's say for example that the main language is set to English.
If the admin adds Spanish and French as additional languages, then this would create new routes according to country codes:
domain.com/community/es/
domain.com/community/fr/

Add a setting to node settings to select the node language.
A node with French language setting will have this format:
domain.com/community/fr/nodename.1
domain.com/community/nodename.1 would 301 redirect to the above url.

Add a switch/setting for members to select in which language(s) they want to see content. i.e.:
- Global (all languages)
- English
- French
- Spanish
Or whatever languages the admin has added.

I believe that with this relatively simple approach XenForo would resolve a major problem.
I borrowed this approach from Reddit btw.

Upvote 68
me too

this can be a good solution for expand "not english" forum adding english users (and/or other languages) without bothering people who want only a language

Are there other solutions/methods that forum administrators are using to support multi-lingual communities?

We have this issue also...need localization for specific forums/nodes.

The absence of multi-lingual functionality in the XenForo Framework affects third party addons as well.
If XenForo Framework would support Multi-lingual functions, then addons could also provide this.

I've experimented with multi-lingual for XF2 as its a function I needed, I have the basics in place such as changing the lang attribute per node and allowing language packs to be selected per node. Still testing functionality before releasing anything at XF.com.

As of yet I've not looked into changing routes based on language though, Maybe something to look at going forward. You can see the initial addon for XF2 here : https://seoforums.uk/resources/rivmedia-language-extras.2/

Last edited:
I think @Alfa1 is looking at the same functions at least what Woltlab has everything can be in multiple languages. Can you imagine Forum, RM and other add-ons where you can support multiple languages. Lets say you make English the primary language (default) and Dutch and German as secondary language you then look at browser setting if its in Dutch it servers Dutch if German then German if no translation it servers English (default in this example). This tech is not new its been around for years and implemented forum will come out of the dark ages.

Top Bottom