Lacking motivation...

Sage Knight

I don't know why, but even though I have a xF licence, a nice domain for a niche (SEO wise) and a slick premium theme along with hosting, yet I am just not motivated to start up the site.

What is wrong with me? And is this normal for a web master? :(

Are you interested in the topic?

Yes, I mean it's a gaming niche, l love playing games and always wanted to own a gaming forum. Plus even if I didn't like the topic, I could easily go for another topic by registering a domain and what not. But I don't if it's due to depressing winters, or just Uni pressures or even the phase were I move on from web dev.

I know what you mean Sage. For me it is some really sad personal stuff going on now combined with my original forum topic which is always negative and very controversial. I really needed a break from that so I started up a new forum for happy things. I mainly tinker because I really don't know what I'm doing tech or design wise but it has renewed me wanted to do a forum a little bit.

I think it is just a case of you being overloaded with life in general, which would not be uncommon for someone on the last leg of their education. That would be my guess at surface depth...however I have bought a couple xf licenses and I don't run a forum so if you are not quote/unquote normal neither am I. In fact I spend money to help other people and try to make it possible for people who don't have money to spend to be able to get what they need to succeed. I went from wanting to make a million webpages to wanting others to be able to create their own visions and in some sick way it makes me happy to see others succeed especially if I know I had a hand in helping them at some point along the way. This trend has also continued into my physical existence. Weird how things happen.

I would keep at your obligations and when you have the time open again from stressful schooling you will gain the ability to have motivation....at that point is probably where you will first be able to properly gauge how you feel about dev.

Again this is all a guess because I have to suppose that I don't know you or how you operate.

I know what you mean Sage. For me it is some really sad personal stuff going on now combined with my original forum topic which is always negative and very controversial. I really needed a break from that so I started up a new forum for happy things. I mainly tinker because I really don't know what I'm doing tech or design wise but it has renewed me wanted to do a forum a little bit.

Maybe I should join forums instead. I also have another forum but recently gave my staff full control to manage it.

And I was also getting to the point where I could do decent designing too, this whole webmaster block has been really annoying. And I can't really put my finger on what happened. I used to also tinker around, read coding tuts, download loads of addons and test them, blah but then stopped.

Change your hobby! Working on my site has been my hobby for the past 2 years. My main hobby before that was video editing, before that, writing, before that, martial arts, before that, videogames, before that, drawing. SWITCH IT UP DUDE.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, it makes me feel better :D

Change your hobby! Working on my site has been my hobby for the past 2 years. My main hobby before that was video editing, before that, writing, before that, martial arts, before that, videogames, before that, drawing. SWITCH IT UP DUDE.

You want me to temporarily quit all this? I can't I'll end up lurking and wishing I hadn't quit. It be too much.

I don't know why, but even though I have a xF licence, a nice domain for a niche (SEO wise) and a slick premium theme along with hosting, yet I am just not motivated to start up the site.

What is wrong with me? And is this normal for a web master? :(

What's normal? It not abnormal put it that way. I absolutely loathe being at my site to the point I make a visit there every several days for about 15-20 seconds and then leave. A word i'd use is it is common and there is nothing wrong with you since lack of motivation is very common.

Glad to see I'm not the only one, it makes me feel better :D

You want me to temporarily quit all this? I can't I'll end up lurking and wishing I hadn't quit. It be too much.
Didn't say you should quit. Just saying do something else for awhile.

ROFLMAO - 10/10 for bluntness. :D

8thos - I think what sage is looking for is some motivation, a push so to speak. a "come on you can do it" type of thing.

LMAO :ROFLMAO:
Motivation comes down to Will. In other words, he isn't trying hard enough.

What else can you tell someone other than 'Stop being lazy' besides 'Do something else then?'

Maybe while he's doing something else, he'll find his motivation again.

K here's an example. I lack the motivation to post on my site due to past drama so I 'do something else' by posting on OTHER forums.

This way I'm able to maintain my motivation on working on the site instead of losing it and giving up.

K here's an example. I lack the motivation to post on my site due to past drama so I 'do something else' by posting on OTHER forums.

This way I'm able to maintain my motivation on working on the site instead of losing it and giving up.

or you could just use the edit button, hit edit and edit message rather than post multiple posts in a row to boost postcount. Similar to that?

edit: The op has posted a good question, and a good subject matter. I know this doesn't have the excitement of the vb5 bashing threads but a good subject matter to discuss nonetheless.

When I first "discovered" the internet and figured out what it was, I 100% wanted to - and KNEW it was my destiny to be a webmaster!

It's the old story - follow your bliss. I wouldn't tackle starting a forum unless you have many years of ambition (to improve, populate, run, etc.) it.

is a normal feeling I've created a site in '06 then closed it for almost 2 years since the subject I had interest no one at the time, but then I wished I've not stopped because in that two years I would've gain multiple users and less competitor :(
My advice for you
  • Start
  • Be patient
  • choice a unique topic that matter and interest you ( gaming is a big topic narrow it down )
  • Content, focus in your site content
  • choose good friends and make them staff in the forum (loyal ones only)
  • spread the word
  • Don't stop unless you gave up and you don;t have time to browse the internet
Good luck

or you could just use the edit button, hit edit and edit message rather than post multiple posts in a row to boost postcount. Similar to that?

edit: The op has posted a good question, and a good subject matter. I know this doesn't have the excitement of the vb5 bashing threads but a good subject matter to discuss nonetheless.
HUH????

You know as I'm typing this, I'm getting an idea of trying to find some partners with me and just doing it the project, I crave for like minded people.

@Shelly, I actually stalk my site as a guest most of the time,

8thos does make sense, the reason why I'm even posting here and not on my site :LOL:

Top Bottom