Lack of 'suite' applications - Feedback from xenForo please?

Rob

At the moment, my site is using many different applications to make up the whole.
XenForo - for community
SilverStripe - for CMS
Prestashop - for store front
AddOnChat - For live chat room

Ideally, I need to add blogs and a gallery also.

The way things stand right now, all these applications are not integrated and do not communicate with each other particularly well - it leaves one hell of a resource footprint on the server also to be running all these fully blown applications.

My solution to the headache is to migrate to IPB which can handle all of the above in one integrated application that has far less of a server resource footprint and in addition the applications can all communicate (where needed).

I doubt for a second I am the only person in this position and whilst it is good that IPB solves the issues and brings these critical site modules under one umbrella there are downsides - namely that the UI of IPB isnt that modern or that nice to use.

I know the question of 'when will xenforo do this' has been asked many times before so I will not ask it but would like to know the opinions of KAM on this topic and hopefully gain an insight into whether or not they feel that 'suite' type applications will EVER be developed in house.

I would love to carry on using xenForo but realistically it is not a viable option for me at this time, although I very much wish it was.

Does any of the xenForo team have any feedback regarding any of the above?

Yes, it seems like it. The what's new link is handled by a single controller - you find it in /library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/FindNew.php. That controller can be extended (= functionality can be overwritten or added) just like any other of xF controllers. For an add-on developer, adding other content types to the what's new view should not be a problem.
The problem with this seems that you would end up with a very specific integration of whats new for one addon while other addons would create a very different or conflicting integration of whats new. This will likely result in a chaotic counter intuitive whats new.
It would be valuable to have one standard integration method for whats new.

This Gallery looks really amazing. To me it displays the same quality as XenForo has.:)
Especially since its just new and a lot more features seem to be on the horizon. Like user albums and having entries in multiple categories. Hopefully it will also integrate with the RM.
Thanks for posting this Brogan.

Do you know if it integrates with forum attachments?

It does not integrate with forum attachments nor the RM.

No, that would make them work for those CMSes while they should focus on their own software.
It's better than the XenForo guys trying to fruitlessly copy Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal, all of which have hundreds of thousands of man hours and large development teams behind them.

Even if the XenForo guys spent 2 years doing nothing but adding CMS and Blogs, it still would not compare to the software I listed above, and there wouldn't be the tens of thousands of plugins and themes available.

Forum software trying to cook their own CMS or Blog is like chasing a unicorn. Maximum effort for Minimum result.

It's better than the XenForo guys trying to fruitlessly copy Wordpress, Joomla, or Drupal, all of which have hundreds of thousands of man hours and large development teams behind them.

Even if the XenForo guys spent 2 years doing nothing but adding CMS and Blogs, it still would not compare to the software I listed above, and there wouldn't be the tens of thousands of plugins and themes available.

Forum software trying to cook their own CMS or Blog is like chasing a unicorn. Maximum effort for Minimum result.
WordPress still sucks as a CMS. It relies too heavily on php file editing. Drupal is beyond a CMS, it's a CCK and as such not user friendly. Joomla was first released 2005 and was flawed big time. The first good version of Joomla was released on January 2012 (2.5), but bugs and security issues are still coming and coming. It seems the larger a development team, the more prone is a software to bugs. A lightweight CMS that is based on a forum framework can be done without a large development team. We have two excellent developers, one for backend work and one for design related things. Surely it can be done and if the sun doesn't die, it will be done one way or the other.

I have gone through this entire thread. Regardless of the reasoning given by so many Xenforo users not a single clear answer from Xenforo developer to this question is disappointing. Yes or No would be enough for those people on the edge to decide.

I have gone through this entire thread. Regardless of the reasoning given by so many Xenforo users not a single clear answer from Xenforo developer to this question is disappointing. Yes or No would be enough for those people on the edge to decide.

Maybe not in this thread, but it has been stated elsewhere: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-roadmap.45893/#post-493531

Even as far back as 2010 ;) - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/is-there-a-cms-planned.191/page-19#post-43004

So if the question is: Are we going to see a CMS anytime soon? - the answer, at the moment, seems to be a clear No. (y)

Top Bottom