Kraken iO Compressor

KC Riley

On the fly image compression really helps with page load speeds an allowing members to upload bigger pictures without worrying about slowing down page load speeds on the fourm.

IPS IP Board has a similar tool already. This tool already exisits for Wordpress.

Benefits:

- Faster image loads
- Faster Page Loads
- Better Server performace
- easy image compression for your members. Members don't require any technical knowledge to edit images.

Let me know what you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want my members to have to become experts in image compression to enjoy the site. My forum will be an advertising fourm. Many of my advertisers are not techies. It would be better to have auutomated process for users to upload optimized images to the website.

okay... so what I get is that you are looking to optimize images uploaded as attachments?

Something along the line might work: send the images to kraken.io and get the optimized one and overwrite the old one.

If that's everything I might be able to create an add-on for that :)

okay... so what I get is that you are looking to optimize images uploaded as attachments?

Something along the line might work: send the images to kraken.io and get the optimized one and overwrite the old one.

If that's everything I might be able to create an add-on for that :)

Even better would be to do thw optimization directly on the server. Jpegoptim, optipng etc.

I am more happy to pay 40 bucks once and 20 renewal (just to give an example) for the addon then 10 bucks per month for kraken.

Even better would be to do thw optimization directly on the server. Jpegoptim, optipng etc.
The problem at the moment is that you must update the database for each attachment because size details are stored and if you overwrite and don't update the db for each image you'll get errors

The problem at the moment is that you must update the database for each attachment because size details are stored and if you overwrite and don't update the db for each image you'll get errors
I know, i have been following the other threat. But for a developer that should be easy to do. For me not :D

Last edited:
okay... I have a dilemma: Should I go with optimization as soon as the files are uploaded (the user will be waiting till the back-end executions are done, i.e. sending the file to kraken and then receiving the optimized file) or do a deferred task (when the deferred process runner starts, the images will be compressed then. Only two drawbacks: the thumbnails will be regenerated twice and the old image will be displayed till the optimizations are done and recached)?

I am more happy to pay 40 bucks once and 20 renewal (just to give an example) for the addon then 10 bucks per month for kraken.

Really the goal here is to optimize the members images before their uploaded to the forum. Over time, with 1000's of images being uploaded by advertisers every week, image optimization will be criticial for my advertising website to run quickly without making my members and advestisers image editing experts.

If an add-on could be designed to intergrate Jpegoptim, optipng into Xenforo, it would be just as good as the Kraken server.

You would need a dedicated web server perform image compression. Image compression on the server side would put too much stress on a VPS.

The one advantage with a Kraken IO API plugin is you're not using your own server resources. This would be more ideal for people hosting forums on a VPS account.

That is something i dont understand. You telling of thousands of images and vps. That wont work. If you really have that much traffic, you have a dedicates server. Thats the fact.

I dont want to pay a third party service provider and be dependent on their fee schedule and terms of services if ic an do the same on my own machine. Currently i pay 40€ Per month for a fully fledged server with 16 cores / 24gb ram which is most of the time in idle on a website with almost 1 Million posts. Why should i pay 20 or more bucks for a simple optimization service? It just makes no sense. servers are so extremly cheap nowadays.

okay... I have a dilemma: Should I go with optimization as soon as the files are uploaded (the user will be waiting till the back-end executions are done, i.e. sending the file to kraken and then receiving the optimized file) or do a deferred task (when the deferred process runner starts, the images will be compressed then. Only two drawbacks: the thumbnails will be regenerated twice and the old image will be displayed till the optimizations are done and recached)?
+1 for the deferred task.

Top Bottom