Kraken iO Compressor

okay... I have a dilemma: Should I go with optimization as soon as the files are uploaded (the user will be waiting till the back-end executions are done, i.e. sending the file to kraken and then receiving the optimized file) or do a deferred task (when the deferred process runner starts, the images will be compressed then. Only two drawbacks: the thumbnails will be regenerated twice and the old image will be displayed till the optimizations are done and recached)?
It should work on large sites as well where there are large numbers of uploads going on continuously. I prefer to keep everything on-site if possible.

I have 55000 attachments occupying 20GB so far. Already running optipng. It would be nice to further optimize it.

That is something i dont understand. You telling of thousands of images and vps. That wont work. If you really have that much traffic, you have a dedicates server. Thats the fact.

I dont want to pay a third party service provider and be dependent on their fee schedule and terms of services if ic an do the same on my own machine. Currently i pay 40€ Per month for a fully fledged server with 16 cores / 24gb ram which is most of the time in idle on a website with almost 1 Million posts. Why should i pay 20 or more bucks for a simple optimization service? It just makes no sense. servers are so extremly cheap nowadays.

I agree with that. I used the Smush-it plug-in on the IP board based fourm I sold last year.

When the smush-it site was busy, the uploader on IP board would slow down or it would give members errors. Reliability may be another issue when using a 3rd-party compressor on another server.

Creating a combined image compression and resizing add-on for the uploader would be handy. Just like the high speed search function in Xenforo, the image compressor add-on could rely on an image compressing app installed on the server.

That is something i dont understand. You telling of thousands of images and vps. That wont work. If you really have that much traffic, you have a dedicates server. Thats the fact.

I dont want to pay a third party service provider and be dependent on their fee schedule and terms of services if ic an do the same on my own machine. Currently i pay 40€ Per month for a fully fledged server with 16 cores / 24gb ram which is most of the time in idle on a website with almost 1 Million posts. Why should i pay 20 or more bucks for a simple optimization service? It just makes no sense. servers are so extremly cheap nowadays.

Goodie,

I have a dedicated server. I'm fine with having a realtime solution. For me it need to be real-time. The app could have an option for real time compression or deferred compression with a time field so people can choose a time when to perform image compression at a prefered time over night when their server is less busy.

I'd prefer deferred and on-site rather than 3rd party. An option for defer vs realtime would solve both sides of the above discussion of it were on kraken server

+1 for optimizing past images :)

okay... so an option to either use real-time or deferred mechanism: check

on-site processing can be done but I'll have to look into it first, like how the compression levels can be managed and such. So I want to go with kraken for the first version at least. Also I think there are people who would like to move this task over to a third party.

and of course the old attachments will be optimized :D

okay... so an option to either use real-time or deferred mechanism: check

on-site processing can be done but I'll have to look into it first, like how the compression levels can be managed and such. So I want to go with kraken for the first version at least. Also I think there are people who would like to move this task over to a third party.

and of course the old attachments will be optimized :D

It sounds like this plugin is starting to take shape.

A radial button option that allows an Admin to choose between Lossless and Lossy compression may be necessary for some people. I think lossy won't be possible with Kraken I/O. I believe they only support lossless compression. Lossy would fall under a later version that supports onsite compression.

A lot of the lossy image standards have improved greatly over the years and they can produce images that are 90% of the original image quality. Which is not bad.

One of the issues that plagued the Smush-it plugin (Invision Power Board) was server issues on the Smush-it server. When the Smush-it server was not available, the IPS image loader would crash giving members bad gateway errors not allowing them to upload images.

If the Kraken Server is not available for any reason, the plug-in should allow the user to upload the image as normal and a deferred cronjob can process the image at a later time.

Nothing is more frustrating than getting PM's from members, "I can't upload any images" or "I'm getting errors when trying to upload my pictures."

What the. Where?
Hetzner.de

But have to correct me, it costs me 50€. And the offer was something for long term customers and is not on any more, but the current ones are also very good. Take a look.

I'm hetzner customer since 2003 and very happy about the service.

Here's two screenies:

The top attachment was uploaded with "Deferred Processing" disabled. It took some time to upload the image as the file was sent over to kraken and then downloaded the processed image and parsed it.
The bottom attachment was uploaded with "Deferred Processing" enabled. The image was uploaded without any latency and after a couple of second the attachment gets updated with the processed one (second screenshot) :D

1.webp
2.webp

Thanks Goodie.

It looks like you have done your homework. I have a good feeling this add-on will be highly in demand this year.

It's good to hear that Kraken added lossy compression to the mix. Lossless doesn't really do much to reduce image size.

Every Xenforo Forum owner needs to worry about page load speeds and image optimization. Both Google and Bing are cracking down on slow load-sites

The only time I see lossy compression have issues is when you compress extremely high contrast images. Ex. A lady in a black dress against a solid white background.

You can reduced those issues by shooting against a very light grey background to reduce contrast. Most professionals do this.

Even then, those images flaws would only really be noticed by someone that know photography.

The only time I see lossy compression have issues is when you compress extremely high contrast images. Ex. A lady in a black dress against a solid white background.

You can reduced those issues by shooting against a very light grey background to reduce contrast. Most professionals do this.

Even then, those images flaws would only really be noticed by someone that know photography.
I've got a 4k resolution screen on my laptop, and the difference is more than acceptable, and you can only really tell when looking at the image on 100% zoom

Top Bottom