KnownHost Server Configuration?

I do admire you though @DRE, all the issues you have had in the last year, most would have thrown their site in the garbage and started fresh long ago.

I do admire you though @DRE, all the issues you have had in the last year, most would have thrown their site in the garbage and started fresh long ago.
I agree. I've had that thought many times. What I've learned is that I should've listened to people's advice about not upgrading my live site to every beta, not installing addons before testing them out on a local installation and the most oddest lesson of all, making sure that the addons uninstall properly before installing them on the live site. There are surprising amount of addons that do not uninstall themselves properly.

Or if you are using nginx and just want to block Baidu, Yandex, etc then you can do
Code:
    if ($http_user_agent ~* (Baiduspider|Yandex) ) {
        return 444;
    }
in your nginx site definition.
I'm only doing nginx reverse proxy so regular apache .htaccess rules still apply.

I agree. I've had that thought many times. What I've learned is that I should've listened to people's advice about not upgrading my live site to every beta, not installing addons before testing them out on a local installation and the most oddest lesson of all, making sure that the addons uninstall properly before installing them on the live site. There are surprising amount of addons that do not uninstall themselves properly.
I have the same experience as yours when I was on my 1st year of my forum.
One thing I learned is, cheap hosting would probably a bad service.

Reactions: DRE
I have the same experience as yours when I was on my 1st year of my forum.
One thing I learned is, cheap hosting would probably a bad service.
Seems like it. The cheaper the host, they less of a refund they have to give, but that doesn't even cover the cost of inconvenience and site downtime.

And in case anyone is interested in what returning a 444 error code does:
An nginx HTTP server extension. The server returns no information to the client and closes the connection (useful as a deterrent for malware).

Reactions: DRE
I'm only doing nginx reverse proxy so regular apache .htaccess rules still apply.
I don't really worry about the reverse proxying - of course, all my forums are being served from Dual L5520's with 24GB RAM on a 1GB pipe (one server per forum pretty much - kinda overkill). ;)
For $65 a month one of my servers has a 100MB unmetered pipe, 2 1TB SATA drives in software RAID 1 with the same specs above (this is my "test bed" server). It's nice being able to administer your own server... but it DOES require more knowledge. All of them have been out on the 'net for a while now and so far all the hack attempts on it have failed (and as I say that one will probably get hit). :p

I don't really worry about the reverse proxying - of course, all my forums are being served from Dual L5520's with 24GB RAM on a 1GB pipe (one server per forum pretty much - kinda overkill). ;)
For $65 a month one of my servers has a 100MB unmetered pipe, 2 1TB SATA drives in software RAID 1 with the same specs above (this is my "test bed" server). It's nice being able to administer your own server... but it DOES require more knowledge. All of them have been out on the 'net for a while now and so far all the hack attempts on it have failed (and as I say that one will probably get hit). :p
I have no idea what a dual L5520 but I do have a question. One server per forum... one server has 2TB... does that server run a forum? That's a lot of memory.

I have no idea what a dual L5520 but I do have a question. One server per forum... one server has 2TB... does that server run a forum? That's a lot of memory.
Each server has 24 GB of memory. Two of the servers connect to the Internet at 1GB speed (30TB bandwidth limit) and one at 100mb speed (unmetered and I have confirmed with them that it is TRUE unmetered - doesn't matter how much bandwidth I use I will not be penalized). I have APC set to use 1GB for cache on each one and rarely use a small portion of it - of course I don't have many users on any of them yet.
A Dual L5520 is dual Xeon processors (older but still plenty fast).
I just moved one of my forums from my "test bed" server over to one of the others. So one server is serving just one forum and then one of the others have 2 forums on it.
Then I have my RamNode 2GB VPS that serves for my WordPress blogs and my Coppermine Gallery.

Like I said, the servers are really overkill for what I need - but I can afford them and I enjoy administering them.

Didn't you just have a thread last week about how slow your site was?

Knownhost said:
The issues you are facing are due to a failed RAID array which we are working on getting back in line. Your data is safe, so no worries there. This is what our redundancies such as RAID are built for.
Sorry for any inconvenience this may be causing you.
back to normal now..

Top Bottom