1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids have to start sometime right!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Russ, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Well... I gave into the lil bugger :)

EQnoble, Jethro, Shelley and 2 others like this.
  2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

An early christmas present, eh!?
  3. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

Nice stuff.. is he going to game and stuff.. or is it for school purposes?
    Terrorz likes this.
  4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

It's loaded with Ubuntu, they have a bunch of educational applications for download so we'll start there :)
  5. FreshFroot

Nice stuff. I wish you were my dad :p
    Russ likes this.
  6. Floris

Floris Guest

He's a wordpress auto install away from being the next wikileaks or piratebay.
    *they grow up so fast* sniff

EQnoble, Mikey and Russ like this.
  7. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes. When I got my first computer as a kid I spent all of my time using educational programs. [​IMG]
    Jeffin, random and Peggy like this.
  8. Floris

Floris Guest

EQnoble and Peggy like this.
  9. FreshFroot

I had no choice when I 1st used a PC.

It was DOS and no operating system. I had one educational spelling game.

Then got Windows 3.1 and it has lame games too, though I played DOOM :D

These days though there is so much a kid can do. So you really gotta control their habits.

I see to many kids addicted to these FB games and what not. They sit there all day playing it and no school work gets done. Then they blame the professors and teacher, that they are not being easy enough of them.
    random likes this.
  10. I did the opposite. I just bought my dad a computer :)

FreshFroot likes this.
  11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

My son got his first computer at age 3 (he's 11 now). He can do things on a computer that I could only dream about.
    A program glitched on the school's computers last week. They called the tech guy to come fix it. No go. SO, they called me to ask for permission to get my SON to look at it.
    I said sure.

The brat fixed it.
    random and Shelley like this.
  12. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Did you pick one pre-loaded with *nix for a reason? Think they have started to hit the Aussie market but windoze still dominates here.
  13. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

So cute Dad :D Congratulations to your son and may he enjoy his journey into Geekdom :)

We gave our son his first computer at 3 too Peggy... but he wrecked it, and the next 3 he got lol, luckily they were old bangers and it didn't really matter.

For years he was .....

*Huge soundtrack, Movie preview voiceover, Waving Cape flying*

DESTRUCTO BOY - a boy so destructive anything electrical or electronic within a 10 metre radius instantly curls up and dies!!!
    Jethro likes this.
  14. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

WOW, lol. Most aspies I've met are electronics geeks. Then there are those who would rather a computer burned than ran.
  15. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Oh he is a total electronics geek... but the puttting back together is not as easy as the taking apart heheehheehhe
    FreshFroot likes this.
  16. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Thank GOD mine hasn't started taking them apart yet. He likes being on them too much to think about taking them apart!
  17. FreshFroot

The only thing that scared me is things like getting glasses at an early age for the kid, socially some kids don't develop spending time on the PC. etc.. etc.. There are a few problems, but they only come up if the parent gives them a computer and lets them do what ever.

If rules are in place, I think it can be given to a kid at an early age.
  18. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

He was up till 4am last night on Hulu, I think that's ok.
  19. FreshFroot

hey your the dad :p it's your rules.

Whether I agree or disagree it won't matter. ;)
  20. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

hah if I caught him up that late doing anything other than coding I'd whoopem!
    Peggy likes this.