Keyword Replace by Waindigo [Deleted]

DD, my idea with the "base url" would only require listing the words, not the URL. You'd list the url once, and from point on, the URL would match the base plus the word or term.

I got the idea, but it forces you to only be linking to your base URL.
Surely you want more than just that.
For the small time it takes to type out the URL in the adminCP ... dont worry about it !!

Link to another www site ?
Link to a pages page ?
Link to a forum ?

being able to bring up glossary items without leaving the post is a great idea.

Thanks :) It's something I had on vBulletin but I never got it working that well. Waindigo is doing an amazing job here and has kept perfectly to the spec :)

I got the idea, but it forces you to only be linking to your base URL.
Surely you want more than just that.
For the small time it takes to type out the URL in the adminCP ... dont worry about it !!

Link to another www site ?
Link to a pages page ?
Link to a forum ?

I see your point - flexibility is the key. While I may have only 50 important terms, a game site (characters) or a computer/techie site could have hundreds or even thousands.

The more I think of it, the idea of not going to a link seems best for most....that is, a pop-up or hover. The reason being that many people don't know how to use the back button and get confused...also, on ipads, etc. same deal. They have to leave the page or else open multiple windows...again, confusing for some.

I think we often fail to understand how clueless the average internet user is.

The reason being that many people don't know how to use the back button and get confused...also, on ipads, etc. same deal. They have to leave the page or else open multiple windows...again, confusing for some. I think we often fail to understand how clueless the average internet user is.
You know your users !
Apple knows :)

One options might be to also support patterns.
so far this list has item1 ->replace1 (1:1 relationship).
you could do something like this.

gloss.clearance
gloss.combustibles
gloss.zero_clearance.

essentially gloss. triggers Keyword replace and that everything after the period, in this case, clearance is tacked onto the base URL.

= hearth.com/glossary/#string

{pattern:gloss.string.} - replace with base URL - hearth.com/glossary/#

zero clearance = hearth.com/glossary/#zero_clearance
clearance = hearth.com/glossary/#clearance
combustibles = hearth.com/glossary/#combustibles

Essentially for the entire glossary, you might only need 1 item (the pattern of the URL). The drawback is you would have to type the full name of the glossary item.

How about more space for HTML ?
more.space.for.HTML.webp

And maybe in the fine print, mention the: remove the keyword text + save = delete keyword.

Thanks for this addon !

Hmm ; what's supposed to do "overlay" exactly ? It looks like the same as URL.
Is not the same thing which pops up when you stay on a forum title ? or thread title ?

@ DD I think this is starting to go off an a little bit of a tangent. When I initially thought about this mod I had in mind to take 'normal', user generated content and to make it more useful. That is to say, we mark up from plain text that any user posts. The user need not know of this system as it will just work anyway. It helps especially in a glossary function.

What you are proposing DD is something that would beyond the scope of this mod since it will act only for admins or those specifically trained in how to use it. I think this mod's roadmap should focus on transforming regular user content... anything else I would think is beyond the scope, but obviously thats up to the author at the end of the day.

So this would allow us to have some "easter eggs" in terms of large smileys,images,etc that just are too large for the drop down? Example would be like :largeimage: would display some large image each time without us having to put it in the smiley list if we define it in this system?

So this would allow us to have some "easter eggs" in terms of large smileys,images,etc that just are too large for the drop down? Example would be like :largeimage: would display some large image each time without us having to put it in the smiley list if we define it in this system?
I guess you could use it for that if you wanted, or maybe you could use to to turn CBJ, NCAA, ITT or other terms or keywords in content into links. The links can lead to pages all about those terms or perhaps to sponsors of those terms even :) There are many many uses and I'm sure more will surface :)

This, and also the censor system could even be used to correct common misspellings :)

Reactions: tmb
Oh man I see some serious potential for this add-on. Another quality release, thanks Waindigo, you are a great benefit to this community.

I guess you could use it for that if you wanted, or maybe you could use to to turn CBJ, NCAA, ITT or other terms or keywords in content into links.

Precisely, my users use many inside three letter acronyms and by default the three char limit in mysql prohibits those search term, this mod really helps in those cases. =)

have a question about the performance.
did this slow down my forum on a shared host with 50 users online and 250 posts per day very much
i want to take 50-100 keywords.

This shouldnt impact performance with that amount of keywords. Maybe Waindigo could give some insight.

Are there any permissions available with this or advanced options such as having certain keywords available in certain forums or at least having it available everywhere except a specific section, such as staff section.

Are there any permissions available with this or advanced options such as having certain keywords available in certain forums or at least having it available everywhere except a specific section, such as staff section.
Not at present. Happy to look into adding this if someone is willing to contribute towards the development costs.

I have a very simple request: if a "word to URL" substitution is requested, wouldn't it be nice to provide a target flag, so that the user doesn't leave the page while surfing to the landing URL?

Hope this can be taken into consideration.

Thanks
Marco

Top Bottom