Just wanted to thank the Xenforo Staff/Developers

we get them too, then they make new accounts to "hide" on lol
How many of them have 10K+ posts?
BTW, I'm simply saying it is LESS likely I'll spend additional funds on Xenforo... I already have a site heavily invested in it's ecosphere.
Exactly what draws me currently (other than 3rd party add-ons) to the "benefits" that XF "grants" me?

Can you give me any examples of where XF currently exceeds IPS?
You didn't direct this question at me, but I think I can give you some sort of answer.

From memory, forum functionality is a bit better on XF. Examples include post numbers. Not having them is a dealbreaker for me. Another is the little pop up for linking to a post - very slick. Invision doesn't have that. Quoting looks better on XF. The general presentation of posts looks better. I'm sure there are others, but I've not looked at Invision for ages now.

Other than the missing post numbers, there are only subtle differences that won't necessarily make or break Invision over XF.

I'm not commenting on the functions that Invision supports. If you want those then of course there's only one choice.

Last edited:
forum functionality is a bit better on XF
Not under the current aspect in a base format. IPS has calendars and groups in it's base.. remind me.. where is that found in the core XF script?
If one starts counting in use of prefixes and custom fields.. granted. But how many actually use that in XF?

Examples include post numbers
Not a big deal.. .why do you need to say "refer to post number XXX" when you can simply link to it and five a DIRECT access to the post?

Quoting looks better on XF
Again.. arguable considering the style.

The general presentation of posts looks better
Once more.. arguable.. once more dependent upon the style.

There are functions that IPS includes natively (the least of which is also apparently the inclusion of the use of ES without the need of a 1st party add-on at an additional fee).

And probably treading on thin ice here with the staff/moderators... as it appears that they prefer I not say anything negative XF...

Last edited:
Not a big deal.. .why do you need to say "refer to post number XXX" when you can simply link to it and five a DIRECT access to the post?
Not a big deal is your subjective impression. There's a real case to be made for them, as below.

For me, I mentally check post numbers when reading threads, especially long ones so I can go back to them for cross referencing, reminders etc. Not having them leads to me having to hunt for them unnecessarily, quite the pita. XF has this problem in conversations. Dunno why they made the dumb decision to exclude them for those.

Obviously, if I'm replying to someone's post, I'll quote or link to it.

The other things I mentioned do work a bit better, but if you prefer the Invision way, that's fine by me. Just accept that I have my own preferences.

For me, I mentally check post numbers when reading threads, especially long ones so I can go back to them for cross referencing, reminders etc. Not having them leads to me having to hunt for them unnecessarily, quite the pita. XF has this problem in conversation
I've, for the first time ever, bookmarked the XF dev posts today so I had them as a reference point in future.

Completely forgot they had a bookmark post feature til today but you should try it.

For me, I mentally check post numbers when reading threads,
That's simply because it's what you are "trained" to do. For referring others to the post... what is better?
Saying "refer to post #82", or actually providing a direct link to the post.. the elimination of post numbers were a snipe hunt used by many against IPS... they really had no actual affect on the ability to link a user to a post.
Even here.. what is more likely to be used.. "Please refer to post #82" or actually using the features to directly link to the post?

I've, for the first time ever, bookmarked the XF dev posts today so I had them as a reference point in future.

Completely forgot they had a bookmark post feature til today but you should try it.
Yes, I know about those and I'll see if they fit into my natural flow. There's other reasons that I prefer post numbers, too. Don't have to go into excessive detail about this though.

That's simply because it's what you are "trained" to do. For referring others to the post... what is better?
Saying "refer to post #82", or actually providing a direct link to the post.. the elimination of post numbers were a snipe hunt used by many against IPS... they really had no actual affect on the ability to link a user to a post.
You're trying to defeat an argument I didn't make - you're making a strawman argument. Have another read of what I said.

You're trying to defeat an argument I didn't make - you're making a straw man argument. Have another read of what I said.
No, you said that post numbers were important... I simply said they were important to YOU.
With XF, you have the Bookmark feature to bookmark specific posts for your later review.
To refer others to a specific post, you aren't going to tell them to refer to "post #82 in thread such and such"... you are going to link to that thread.
Ergo.. the snipe hunt comparison. Eliminating post numbers on the display was not a "big" thing.. it simply negated what the "old heads" were used to seeing so they could say "look at post #xxx to see what you need to know", when in reality, actually linking to that post is of more benefit to the end user.
Now, please, give us an argument where having post numbers are a basic requirement of a site that isn't negated by the examples I gave you.

I usually agree with much of what you say, but this one has me a little confused. I understand, and share, your frustration with the lack of communication. I'm not knocking your decision. I've thought about it, and weighed the pros/cons of switching myself over the last year. However, I'm genuinely curious as to why now, the day after we finally get another developer update?

No, you said that post numbers were important... I simply said they were important to YOU.
With XF, you have the Bookmark feature to bookmark specific posts for your later review.
To refer others to a specific post, you aren't going to tell them to refer to "post #82 in thread such and such"... you are going to link to that thread.
Ergo.. the snipe hunt comparison. Eliminating post numbers on the display was not a "big" thing.. it simply negated what the "old heads" were used to seeing so they could say "look at post #xxx to see what you need to know", when in reality, actually linking to that post is of more benefit to the end user.
Now, please, give us an argument where having post numbers are a basic requirement of a site that isn't negated by the examples I gave you.
They're important to me, but not to you. Both are subjective opinions to a point. Get over it and accept that people have different opinions about things.

And yeah, you made a strawman argument. It's there in black and white.

However, I'm genuinely curious as to why now, the day after we finally get another developer update?
Exactly what "update" did we get any over what we got a year ago and were promised "updates (specifically inferred HYS) within the week".
As I have said (and this has pissed at least one XF moderator off)... talk is cheap... actions speak louder.. and 3 years later we still haven't seen any action.

They're important to me, but not to you. Both are subjective opinions to a point. Get over it and accept that people have different opinions about things.
Once more... my point is that post numbers are not "required"... they are simply what YOU are used to. One can easily work without them as evidence by the number of IPS sites that are currently running and not being brought to their knees because of the lack of them.

Once more... my point is that post numbers are not "required"... they are simply what YOU are used to. One can easily work without them as evidence by the number of IPS sites that are currently running and not being brought to their knees because of the lack of them.
Again, strawman argument. Give it up.

Exactly what "update" did we get any over what we got a year ago and were promised "updates within the week".
As I have said (and this has pissed at least one XF moderator off)... talk is cheap... actions speak louder.. and 3 years later we still haven't seen any action.
Credit where its due (albeit not much) we received slightly more info about delays, namely the drastically different style and an attempted style migration system.

Hopefully now it's been said that the style has be pushed back 2.3 should be fairly imminent as I got the impression most of it was done.

Again.. you fail to show the "requirement" of post numbers to make it work...
It's simply YOUR need and what you are comfortable with... What exactly happens to your "scenario" if "post #82" gets deleted?

Credit where its due (albeit not much) we received slightly more info about delays, namely the drastically different style and an attempted style migration system.
And it actually takes 3 years to implement a different style and "migration system"? :eek:
The point is.. TODAY... WoltLab and IPS offerings exceed (and have for a while) the base functions of XF in many ways.
Meanwhile, we XF license holders have been allowed to muddle along for that period with the occasional peanut thrown to us.

I personally don't care about "success" but more my my joy with working with the script. That's one reason I'm not really heartbroken over the thought of going to another.. it's yet one more challenge.
You see... I run my sites for myself.... and if others want to participate then great. I realize that's an oxymoron to many who ultimately want to "monetize" their site to the max.... just goes against my basic principles.
THAT is also why I want to maximize what I spend MY monies on.. it's not being subsidized by others.
Success IMO is just another word for "joy". :) I run my site as my hobby, something I enjoy doing and hopefully helping others while I do it. Maybe one day I can break even financially with it but till then I will continue with it and enjoy.

Top Bottom