1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just upgraded from RC 2 to 1.0.4...

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Chimpie, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Chimpie

Chimpie Well-Known Member

I just upgraded my test forum from Release Candidate 2 to 1.0.4. The upgrade was super easy. It blows me away how easy the whole process is. Another thumbs up to the XenForo team.
    Darkimmortal, Onimua, Peggy and 2 others like this.
  2. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Just a bit behind, eh?
    Chimpie likes this.
  3. Chimpie

LOL... a little... it's just a test forum and had other priorities that needed attention.
  4. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

I'm always a bit scared about updating, mostly about edits i've done to templates :O
    Darkimmortal likes this.
  5. Chimpie

Have you run into any problems?
  6. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

Not problem. It's just that the changes got reset. I have this habit of moving things around.
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Just copy the contents of any outdated template to notepad.
    Revert the template.
    Copy the contents of the updated template to notepad.
    Do a comparison and merge your changes back in to the new template.

Ideally you should keep a list or file with all your edits, which makes it easier to refer to them during an upgrade.

What are outdated templates and why do I need to revert them? Can't I just continue using the old ones?
    If a template is changed between releases, i.e. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1, and you have manually edited it, then it will be marked as outdated. This is done because the software doesn't automatically overwrite those templates, thereby causing certain functionality which you have added to be lost. It is an indication that the core code has changed and you need to take action. The software will continue to function with these outdated templates but you may be missing important updates and bug fixes so it is recommended to revert and reapply any edits.

How can I compare changed code when I have outdated templates which need to be reverted and edited once more?
    You can use a file compare program which will highlight any differences between two files.
    Notepad++ is a free program with file compare functionality.
    erich37, Chimpie, Shane and 1 other person like this.
  8. Lu Kas

Lu Kas Active Member

Brogans system is the best, updating takes me less than 5 minutes for the tempate edits. Just some copy/paste action.
  9. Chimpie

Used this process last night.