Just my opinion

archie6506

So I really do not have any pre-sales question as everything is answered on the forums, so really I just wanted to give some feedback on a future licensor. I have two forums that I will be purchasing licenses for, one new and one with about 30k members. I am waiting to purchase only because I am getting (sorry to say this) a little vb fever, meaning that I do not want to purchase now and wait 3-6 months for 1.2 to be released and have only 6-9 months left on my license support. I am not asking for a time frame on the next release, but more just a statement why I am waiting to purchase. I am also waiting because I was hoping on a new editor (which I see will be in 1.2) to be added to xenforo as this right now is my biggest issue for me and my members who have visited the site and most agreed that the editor was too outdated for our use.

But my main reason for this post is that I like the way everything works, and like the way xenforo is laid out and the future it has. But I am a little disappointed by the amount of restrictions on the board for potential new customers. I understand that certain areas of the boards are for members only, but even a unlicensed user on vb.org can at least see the screenshots provided for add-ons. For me personally, before making a decision on switching to xenforo, I just wanted to see what kind of add-ons there was available and what kind of feedback users have left on whether the add-on were supported anymore. With almost 85% of the add-on descriptions, feedback and screenshots restricted, it almost swayed me not to do the switch to xenforo.

The demo is fine, for basic functionality. But let's be serious, almost everyone is going to use a add-on for their boards. I will be honest, on a local server in my house, I installed a nulled version just so I could test some add-ons and see what they did. Could have avoided most of this, if not all if the restrictions on just viewing add-ons screenshots and reviews were a little less restrictive.

I like the path xenforo is taking and hope to be a long time licensor for the future of my boards.

Thanks

The demo is fine, for basic functionality. But let's be serious, almost everyone is going to use a add-on for their boards. I will be honest, on a local server in my house, I installed a nulled version just so I could test some add-ons and see what they did. Could have avoided most of this, if not all if the restrictions on just viewing add-ons screenshots and reviews were a little less restrictive.

Uh huh. Riiiiiiiiight. And I have a really nice bridge for sale in Brooklyn, too.

Thanks for the input. It's great to see someone making a considered decision.

You're absolutely doing the right thing. Wait until beta 1.2 is installed here early June to start with, then see how you get on with the new editor.

Don't particularly approve of any nulled software usage, but that's a never ending debate.

My only other bit of feedback is actually, unlicensed members cannot see screenshots at vb.org either.

Thanks for the input. It's great to see someone making a considered decision.

You're absolutely doing the right thing. Wait until beta 1.2 is installed here early June to start with, then see how you get on with the new editor.

My only other bit of feedback is actually, unlicensed members cannot see screenshots at vb.org either.

Thanks, for the reply. Not sure on the vb.org, but my support license has expired long ago and registered under a new account and was still able to see screenshots. Maybe just a fluke, but hopefully you get my point on my opinion.

Thanks

ok, should have been more detailed on this opinion.

If you look here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/conversation-essentials-a-user-guide.48206/

Now looking at it more, looks like the discussion area is restricted when attached to the resource area. When doing a google search for certain features, I would most of the time get sent to the discussion area of the resource and was restricted. If this is by design or intended too operate this way, then I could see that point. My apologies for the misunderstanding on my side.

Part of the screenshot issue is that the XenForo attachment system doesn't discriminate against types, and viewing permissions usually gives downloading permissions.

Top Bottom