1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just finished transferring my largest forum

Discussion in 'Forum Showcase and Critiques' started by Garamond, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Garamond

Garamond Well-Known Member

You can find it here. It's a forum for snowmobile owners in my country, and it's norwegian language by default. You can't even register because of the Q&A, but from what you see - what do you think?

99% of the members have been very happy with the change from vBulletin 3.8.5.

Neal, Ra and Walter like this.
  2. 3rd AnGle

3rd AnGle Well-Known Member

Congrats...!! I am sure the activity in your forum will increase manifold like it happened with my forum.

Garamond likes this.
  3. Garamond

Thanks, yeah because of the very season specific genre the change had to happen during summertime - and now it'll have time to gain momentum on Google until next winter season (northern hemisphere that is).

4. Garamond

The one thing I'm unsure of is whether I should put a portal out or move the forum up one ladder into the main folder.

5. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

It looks excellent - well done - and also good to know your migration from vB went OK and the users like it.

The only thing I don't like - just my opinion - is all the stats in the post bit (under the avatar) which to me is taking XenForo's simplicity away and putting vB's clutter back in :) The effect this has is to add quite a lot of empty space in very short posts. However I am sure your community have got used to that info being there, it will be the same issue for me when I migrate.

Garamond and Peggy like this.
  6. Garamond

I agree with you, Ingenious - haven't it been for the fact that my members are used to have even more information there. As it became now, I see it as a compromise :) anyway, thanks for the feedback - appreciated!

7. Savvy

Savvy Member

Congratulations on the transfer, Garamond. I hope you enjoy XenForo and best of luck with everything.

Garamond likes this.
  8. Garamond

Thanks Savvy, appreciated :)

9. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Congrats on the conversion! Glad your members are enjoying the new software so much!

I like your blue style, but would prefer to see a little bit more personalisation myself. Just to lift your site from out of the ordinary a little :)

Garamond likes this.
  10. Garamond

This is a chart of the activity at the site since I migrated from vBulletin last summer:

Skjermbilde 2012-02-13 kl. 15.15.34.png

Shelley, borbole, Walter and 3 others like this.
  11. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

It looks like the activity has increased quite a lot. Congratulations.

Garamond likes this.
  12. DBA

DBA Well-Known Member

Pageviews or visits?

13. Jarod

Jarod Active Member

Hello,

Do you have charts before migrating ?

Thanks

14. Garamond

Visits.
    No, sorry.

Jarod likes this.
  15. dojo

dojo Active Member

Lovely design. I see enough customization to not look like a stock XF install and the header is terrific. Not to mention your stats that are really impressive.

Morgain, Rob Fritz and Garamond like this.
  16. bambua

bambua Well-Known Member

Love your design, particularly the color palette and the forum icons. Great to see a forum succeeding like that.

Garamond likes this.
  17. Garamond

Refined design, other adjustments and a plethora of add-ons (69 totally) for the new season. Attached is an image of how logged in users see the forum :)

scooterforum.png

18. Robert F Schmitz

Robert F Schmitz Well-Known Member

Very impressive site sir!

Garamond likes this.
  19. TsinJu

TsinJu Well-Known Member

All together looks nice, but i would smaller the NodeIcons a bit.
    For me they are bit to big

Garamond likes this.
  20. Morgain

Morgain Well-Known Member

Cor wow I am impressed! I love the way the header logo fades off into the blue just like sky does.

If you want to play a little more I would choose just one element in the "Debatt" area and change the colour to something not-blue. Maybe a sea green or purple - snow has those colours in it.
    The complete blue in that area which will exist inside the forums is hard on the eyes. Eyes need some contrasr.
    The change could be just a thin line, horizontal ones or border. Just a small thing to help the eye fatigue.

Secondly I can see what Tsin Ju means. But to me the size of the icons is cool. That is welcome because it is unusual.
    I think the lines in the icons are too thick. They are like a 'child' look. XF lines are thin and elegant. So they do not fit.
    But I guess changing that would not be fun to do.

Minor points - really the design is very striking.

Garamond likes this.