XF 2.2 Jump to post "jumpy" and not precise

voom

I know the source of the issue is probably an addon, and I have many of them. Which is why I am looking for a more heuristic way of finding the source instead of disabling and re-enabling over 100 addons.

So, what happens is, that whenever I jump to a specific post, like from the alerts or even with a deep link, it jumps where it is supposed to go, but then immediately jumps up to about one of the 3-5 last posts depending on their length.

From a logical point of view the addon "unlimited scroll" is the first suspect, but disabling it does not fix the issue.

Any clues are appreciated....

I tried "disable all" but after a few minutes it quit with a database error. So the only way I can go now is the other way around: disabling addons one by one until sth. changes.
Then you have an even more critical underlying issue that you further need to resolve. Disabling an add-on should NOT create a database error unless the add-on is poorly coded... so now you have an even MORE tedious job. Disable each add-on one by one until you find the one that created your database error. Odds are when you find it and decide that you want to remove it, it may not cleanly uninstall. That has been a hazard of 3rd party add-ons (especially poorly written ones) since the 1.x days. In fact, at one point I was like you, thought I had to have TONS of add-ons... and learned quickly to make a backup prior to installing any new add-on just in case it DID cause a DB issue. It's not so bad now, as those add-ons that are found that have issues and that don't get addressed tend to disappear from the RM.

I now found time to try again and check, what the issue is when "disable all" breaks. As I suspected, the problem is the maximum script execution time. In the browser console, this is clearly shown. I am not sure, if I can ramp that up enough, to give the script the time to disable over 100 addons.

In general I would wish for more tools to work with the addon-list. Like bulk-actions (check 10 oder 20 addons and then disable them in bulk; later if the culprit is at say 5, bulk-enable the others) or even listing all disabled plugins as a filter.

Edit: I set the max execution time to 5 Minutes. Now what happens is that I see the indicator bar on top that shows that sth. is happening, and at some point it simply stops. No error message, no console error, no addon disabled...

Edit2: 10 Minutes, same thing... I cannot disable all addons, and get no clue / error message, that would help to find the cause.

Edit3: It gets even stranger: there was a "continue to run job manually" message on the admin dashboard. That took a lot of time and now all addons show as disabled. But: not all of them are, I would say less than 10% are actually disabled. The frontend, with cache emptied, looks almost exactly the same as it did with all the templates (and of course the initial issue is still there....)

Last edited:
This ended in me restoring the backup, all this disabling and enabling (interestingly the "enable" function after disabling all had a bulk-option with checkboxes). I suppose, since all addon showed as disabled but mostly were not, reenabling them could go through without errors.

Back at square one. And all this because of a minor issue, that's simply annoying and only happens to me...

Maybe I can figure out a way to make a new account and transfer all settings and permissions. (Merge probably won't work, since I'd have to merge an empty into the old account, thus not really changing anything). Or who knows, maybe a Chrome-update fixes it....

This seems to be caused by twitter-embeds. They have no height defined, so it jumps to the right position, but then the embeds are loaded and the height of the page changes, thus it jumps the more, the more embeds there are on one page. For now, I have set a fixed height for the container so the page layout does not change. This is not optimal yet, as the embed is responsive, but already better than wondering what the content was you were linked to...

I think I have the same or similar problem, posted a bug about it:

If it jumps on external images only, maybe in that case the space needed for the image also changes during page load?

What is different, at least in your screen recording, is that in my case it jumped to the right place first and then jumped back immediately...

Yes likely it has something to do with not knowing the image dimensions beforehand, but I though there are some workarounds for it already or atleast the browser itself should realize and adjust after loading the image.

Also it already should know the dimensions later on, when the image is coming directly from browser cache. So uh yeah dunno.

I suppose it is difficult, because with an Anchor-Link the Page does not need to be reloaded, once the page has been loaded.

In my case, I have no trouble with images, because all images are internal. External images are converted to attachments (because of GDPR).

Top Bottom