JoyFreak

JoyFreak submitted a new resource:

[JoyFreak] Postbit Cover - Allow your members to set a postbit cover photo with this easy and simple guide.

Live example: Gaming Forum

Description
This guide will run you through on how to allow your members to set a postbit cover photo that will display within their posts/messages.

Guide
  1. Create a custom user field. Go to Admin CP > Users > Custom user fields
  2. Field ID: This can be anything you want i.e. postbit_cover
  3. Title: This can be anything you want i.e Postbit Cover
  4. Description: URL of the...

Read more about this resource...

Good tips for playing with user field...

Just hope that not all members define their own postbit, graphically this must be terrible! with dragons that will rub shoulders with flowers, cats, valleys and meadows, pikachu, a mercedes and what else ?

Good tips for playing with user field...

Just hope that not all members define their own postbit, graphically this must be terrible! with dragons that will rub shoulders with flowers, cats, valleys and meadows, pikachu, a mercedes and what else ?
The opacity helps dim it down and make it look better. Although, I would recommend having it for user upgrades. Nice little perk for them members.

Don't mind me - I'm just old ;)

I expect it works well for a gaming/anime site, or one with a younger audience.

Not quite sure what I've done wrong -

1606674101967.webp

Show's like this - and nothing shows in postbit.

1606674138279.webp

I've done the template edits.

Ahhh so users have to provide their own images for the postbit? I was hoping it would be like -

You have 5 different images. Member can choose from a dropdown which image (which has a description) they would like to display within the postbit as a background. Would this be a huge modification? I can for sure seeing this current form being abused, but if I can allow members to choose from a pre-defined selection, that might work.

I really appreciate your time!

Ahhh so users have to provide their own images for the postbit? I was hoping it would be like -

You have 5 different images. Member can choose from a dropdown which image (which has a description) they would like to display within the postbit as a background. Would this be a huge modification? I can for sure seeing this current form being abused, but if I can allow members to choose from a pre-defined selection, that might work.

I really appreciate your time!
Yes, so you allow your members to choose what they wish to display. I use this add-on alongside it and have my upgraded members take advantage of this feature.

Currently, this guide cannot achieve what you want doing and I'm not looking for any extra work. I'm just releasing guides that work on my forum for anybody else who wishes to use it too.

Yes, so you allow your members to choose what they wish to display. I use this add-on alongside it and have my upgraded members take advantage of this feature.

Currently, this guide cannot achieve what you want doing and I'm not looking for any extra work. I'm just releasing guides that work on my forum for anybody else who wishes to use it too.
Many thanks. That really helps.

Can I ask you two questions if you don't mind?

1606675662770.webp

What addon/modification do you use to have those 4 boxes beneath the avatar? Also, what award system are you using? It all looks great!

Many thanks

Many thanks. That really helps.

Can I ask you two questions if you don't mind?

View attachment 240830

What addon/modification do you use to have those 4 boxes beneath the avatar? Also, what award system are you using? It all looks great!

Many thanks
This probably isn't the place to ask but I'll answer it anyway. Those boxes I've added via CSS so it's just a customisation. As for the awards system, I use AddonFlare's awards system: https://www.addonflare.com/xenforo-2-addons/xf2-awards-system.12/

However, the price of the copyright removal is very high (worth mentioning). This other add-on is free and can accomplish the same results (no copyright IIRC): https://xenforo.com/community/resources/versobit-badges.8137/

I'm trying to add a dropdown box for user selection (for multiple choice covers)

1608066862183.webp

1608066928445.webp

I'd like to add the choice within the highlighted area so the choice would effectively be something like dangerous.png / otw.png / bad.png

Does anyone have any tips? Will have a hunt around the forum for ideas.

Thanks guys!

With thanks to @Jeremy P - I managed to figure out how to achieve the above -

You must create a new user field with a dropdown option -

1608230422684.png

Then add the following code to your message_macro template, like so -

Code:
<xf:if is="{$user.Profile.custom_fields.postbit_cover}">
<div class="postbit_background" style="background-image: url({{ base_url('styles/xenbase/post-covers/' . $user.Profile.custom_fields.postbit_covers . '.jpg') }});"></div>
</xf:if>

Note the file directory - You'd obviously change this to meet where your covers are stored. You can change the file extension, it was png but I changed it to jpg. Remember to change the postbit_covers to the id of your user field.

1608231263410.png

This now achieves the desired effect -

1608231466293.png

Thanks again Jeremy!

Last edited:
some way to make it show or enable a type of postbit using a user's range. for example, admin, mod, full user, new, ban .. and others ..

Hey, I love this little guide but how can I set it as the background and fade it with the background body?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 12.05.19 PM.webp
    Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 12.05.19 PM.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 38
Hey, I love this little guide but how can I set it as the background and fade it with the background body?
Hi,

No idea what you mean? It's already set as the background of the postbit and is faded to ensure users details are visible on the postbit. Can you send me an example of what you mean?

Edit: BTW, it looks good on your forums.

Top Bottom