Jogging and running

I use to run and jog a lot, but after I had surgery in January, I went into physical training, and started having issues with running (Knee injury from high school that got worse after a car accident).

I have a pool at my house, so I usually swim there to stay fit. 

That is nothing

There are longer runs than that.

There is one in France that makes 100 mile runs look like a cake walk.... Also a run in Death Valley is hard do to the heat and conditions.

How about a 9 day hike with a 75 pound pack and computer.

I was unemployed and had started to monotize the forum at that time.

The Appalachian Trial is much much longer and harder but I was younger and doing it just for fun.

I finally ended up staying around the final destination but did some house hopping for a little while.

I consider myself old and out of shape but people in their 20s that I know tell me I have not gotten in that bad of shape yet.

There's one run on the west coast of the SI in NZ, can't remember what it's called, supposed to be one of the toughest too. Gawd knows I got puffed out watching it on telly.

I've never understood people who go jogging, NONE of the ones I've seen have ever looked like they're enjoying themselves.
It's not enjoyable at all.
However, it serves a purpose.

I started going to the gym when I was at school (around the age of 13) and pretty much did weights for the next 15 years.
Unfortunately due to one thing and another, I stopped going to the gym for around 10 years.
We came back from holiday about 4-5 years ago and after seeing one photo where I was bending over at the waist, I was on the treadmill within an hour.

I had never done any running before at all and my first few runs were woeful, not to mention my asthma prevented me from running for more than 10 minutes.
However, over the next few weeks I rapidly ramped up the speed and duration/distance and within a few weeks I was running 4 times a week totalling over 30km.
I still had to use my inhaler but less frequently.
Within 6 months I was up to over 40km a week, no longer require my inhaler at all and had dropped the excess 18Kg I had put on over the years.

Now, 5 years later I am still the same weight I was when I was 18 and can eat and drink whatever I like.
As an aside, my resting heart rate is in the athlete range.

I've never understood people who go jogging, NONE of the ones I've seen have ever looked like they're enjoying themselves.
I find running liberating and enjoy it every bit. Besides, I use running as a way to detox myself from daily exposure to pollution.

Jogging and running is not the best way to burn calories unless you either sprint in intervals or wear weights while running or do both. I prefer running outdoors because of natural uphills and dips of the terrain. I have a treadmill on stand-by in case it rains outside.

IMHO, runners should do weightlifting to avoid joint problems. Strong muscles stabilize joints. For example, strong hamstrings are essential for knees. Never ever run with ankle weights if your legs are not muscular and exceptionally strong. I run with 10 pounds on each leg; and it kills my knees.

Top Bottom