Japan just hit by magnitude 8.9 earthquake

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/16/us-japan-quake-idUSTRE72A0SS20110316
(Reuters) - Workers were ordered to withdraw briefly from a stricken Japanese nuclear power plant on Wednesday after radiation levels surged, Kyodo news reported, a development that suggested the crisis was spiraling out of control.

Just hours earlier another fire broke out at the earthquake-crippled plant, which has sent low levels of radiation wafting into Tokyo in the past 24 hours, triggering both fear in the capital and international alarm.

The workers were allowed back into the plant after almost an hour when the radiation levels had fallen.
Sounds like the crisis may have been averted. Too early to tell but they've been let back in for now.

Partial melting of at least one core at Fukushima confirmed, one containment damaged, more meltdowns feared.
Workers had stoppped cooling for at least one hour because of the high radiation on site.

Obviously the discussion I had did not include anything that was not seen as a current issue. The current issue evolves around the 4 reactors.

Yes, it is a testament that they have stood so well.
We will have to agree to disagree the level of severity this is currently and at its current path, will be.
I would not know how to quote a phone call. Like my previous post in this thread, it is not yet been made public (the other one soon after did).
I did not come here to disrespect anyone Elizabeth. But if you would rather wait a few hours, rather then know now... I have nothing left to say.
Since the first information that you gave us was made public soon after, proving that what you said was true, I would appreciate it if you would continue to report what you're hearing from your inside source.

Thank you.

What does this tell us about the many old reactors still operating in the US and Europe?
And also see the long list at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_nuclear_accidents
I've seen the list.
But have you seen the list of accidents of other energy supply accidents such as coal, petroleum, etc? Go back just one year to the Gulf Oil spill. Or the Chilean Coal Mine accident where, thankfully, no one died but could have turned out so disastrous.

The NRC IS looking at this very carefully and making sure all current and future reactors meet what the site design for each site. Example, STP (South Texas Project) is now being carefully reexamined to make sure that it is not only earthquake proof but tsunami proof based on this new information from the Japanese earthquake/tsunami.

But are you willing to give up 20% of the current energy of this country? Energy is already expensive as it is and we are already far too dependent on outside sources. Nuclear power is an inside source. Had we not had a moratorium on building plants for 30 years, we would not have aging plants now.

But this thread is about Japan's issues not our issues. This is the last time I will address this one.

operating atomic reactors is highly profitable, just because they do not calculate the insurance-costs associated with them in case an accident happens.
Would costs for insurance-policies been calculated into it, those kind of energy-production-operations would not be profitable anymore.

We do have enough natural resources, however shortsighted human people are just looking for short-term-profits.

Since the first information that you gave us was made public soon after, proving that what you said was true, I would appreciate it if you would continue to report what you're hearing from your inside source.

Which post do you mean? I've looked back on TheVisitors' posts and I can't see anything that had not already been reported by the BBC, or other sources, at the time TheVisitors posted on here. :confused:

Again from my inside source...​
Originally they evacuated 750 employees and only 50 remained... Those 50 employees have now left. No one is left at the plant.

The nuclear plant will meltdown within 12 hours (24 if the 50 works did enough)

This post was made at 3.40am (GMT), over 10 hours later and there's no reports that the situation is any worst than yesterday, in fact reports are saying radiation levels are dropping again and that the skeleton staff at the plant returned very shortly after they were removed, which seems to conflict with what you are being told by your 'inside source'.

If anyone here knows anyone in Japan and they have not left, they've got about 6 hours, then it will be to late.
As for this line, it screams of scare mongering. Even if the worst happens, and it's still a long way short of that, although far from being able to totally dismiss any chance of something more major happening, there's no need for anyone to totally get out of Japan - just move further from the plant.

And as for only having 6 hours to get out, your source's deadline was over 4 hours ago and there's no reports that people are being prevented from leaving the country.

On the basis of the evidence available, and the timeline here, I suspect 'your source' has no 'inside information' and is just making this up as they go along.

Update: Wednesday 11:15pm JST

Nothing new to report that hasn't been covered in the media already. I think most of the known facts are already out in the open.

I'm planning on going to work in the morning (Thursday 3/17) as most of the central Tokyo trains are running and most people can make it in now.

Shopping today: Dairy products will be available tomorrow morning in limited quantity... Bought carrots, cabbage, onions, pork, spicy soup stock, rice noodle and prepared キムチ鍋. (Kimuchi Nabe/Japanese spicy hot pot... vegetables and meat in spicy soup) - Only problem is rice, don't have much left and couldn't find any in stock in the local stores. I'm going to have family in Shizuoka ship some if I can't find any tomorrow or just pick-up some this weekend if I head out of Tokyo... For the upcoming 3-day holiday weekend, I think I'll be going to Hamamatsu - 90 minutes south of Tokyo via Shinkansen. Just to take a mental break...

Television has been showing some amateur video that has been brought in from people rescued from various places. There was a fairly good one featured on TBS just a few minutes ago, maybe it will get posted somewhere on the internet later.

Edit #1 - I just got an email from Skype -- they've given out a coupon code for free time. Thank you Skype people. :)

Edit #2 - In response to 'TheVisitors' postings: There's no travel restriction out of Japan, only certain airlines from Europe and China have stopped flights to Tokyo/Narita. Other flights are going as scheduled. (I'm not sure where he thought he was going on with the '6 hour' thing...)

Edit #3 - My home area has still remained in the 'no blackout' category, so I've not lost power, gas, water, internet at all since the original quake last Friday. Mail is coming on schedule and usual city services (trash collection, health services etc) have been working on schedule.

For the upcoming 3-day holiday weekend, I think I'll be going to Hamamatsu - 90 minutes south of Tokyo via Shinkansen. Just to take a mental break...

Sounds like a good plan, thanks for keeping us updated, and good luck to you & all in Japan. :)

I raise a glass to you all, and make this old Irish toast:

Here's to those,
that wish you well.
Those that don't*,
can go to hell.

* There's a very, very small minority of ignorant nutjobs, from that stupid girl posting that stupid video about how good God is (who is now in hiding following death threats) to adults that should know better - that should hang their heads in shame. :mad:

Only problem is rice, don't have much left and couldn't find any in stock in the local stores. I'm going to have family in Shizuoka ship some if I can't find any tomorrow or just pick-up some this weekend if I head out of Tokyo... For the upcoming 3-day holiday weekend, I think I'll be going to Hamamatsu - 90 minutes south of Tokyo via Shinkansen. Just to take a mental break...

Edit #1 - I just got an email from Skype -- they've given out a coupon code for free time. Thank you Skype people. :)

Edit #3 - My home area has still remained in the 'no blackout' category, so I've not lost power, gas, water, internet at all since the original quake last Friday. Mail is coming on schedule and usual city services (trash collection, health services etc) have been working on schedule.
Of all things to be out of...it had to be rice, :)

That was extremely nice of the Skype Company. Kudos to them.

Glad you have remained in the "no blackout" category. Try to have a good holiday weekend and we do appreciate your updates.

Edit #2 - In response to 'TheVisitors' postings: There's no travel restriction out of Japan, only certain airlines from Europe and China have stopped flights to Tokyo/Narita. Other flights are going as scheduled. (I'm not sure where he thought he was going on with the '6 hour' thing...)

It's 'inside sources', innit. ;)

Just read AntonyCEA's posts to see why. People buy into the "nuclear will kill us all" bullcrap without knowing all the facts and thus the polititians play to whoever shouts the loudest.

You and Doctor are being plastered by facts in this debate and you both know it, that is why you both grasp at straws trying to save face.

According to the both of you there is nothing to worry about, I just wish you would both volunteer to go put out the meltdown of the nuclear reactors at this point since you both think nothing is going wrong here and that there is no real danger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12755739

Maybe you guys can plant a few daisies on top of the plant after it is buried in sand !!!

According to the both of you there is nothing to worry about, I just wish you would both volunteer to go put out the meltdown of the nuclear reactors at this point since you both think nothing is going wrong here and that there is no real danger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12755739
Being worried and being a someone who goes around frighting people is two different things. Yes, the situation is very worrisome. But we have to let the experts on the ground and around the world handle this. Yes, there is danger...but there is always danger in this world. You could step off a curb and get hit by a bus. Frighting people about it won't help. Educating yourself will.

If you heard what the Emperor said you noticed he said he was "deeply worried" about the situation at the nuclear power plant. He also said:
"I am deeply hurt by the grievous situation in the affected areas. The number of deceased and missing increases by the day we cannot know how many victims there will be. My hope is that as many people possible are found safe," Akihito said, according to the Associated Press.
"I hope from the bottom of my heart that the people will, hand in hand, treat each other with compassion and overcome these difficult times," the 77-year-old emperor said, urging survivors not to "abandon hope."

You and Doctor are being plastered by facts in this debate and you both know it, that is why you both grasp at straws trying to save face.

Excuse me, but WTF are you on about?

I am discussing what is actually happening, as it appears to me most posters are, I am certainly not debating anything - despite your attempts to drag this thread into a debate about nuclear power. This is not the thread nor the time to do that.

According to the both of you there is nothing to worry about,

And yet in post 267, just above yours, I stated "although far from being able to totally dismiss any chance of something more major happening", how do you translate that into "nothing to worry about"?

Well done for posting a link confirming what I've recently posted - (a) the plant's operators evacuated its skeleton crew of 50 workers for about an hour as ground-level radiation spiked and (b) levels of radiation outside the plant have now fallen.

I find your posts of total doom & gloom, in order to support your own agenda, to be extremely distasteful. I also find your false projections concerning my posts to be disgrace and therefore I’ll take the advice in your tagline and not engage with you further.

Which post do you mean? I've looked back on TheVisitors' posts and I can't see anything that had not already been reported by the BBC, or other sources, at the time TheVisitors posted on here. :confused:

This post was made at 3.40am (GMT), over 10 hours later and there's no reports that the situation is any worst than yesterday, in fact reports are saying radiation levels are dropping again and that the skeleton staff at the plant returned very shortly after they were removed, which seems to conflict with what you are being told by your 'inside source'.

As for this line, it screams of scare mongering. Even if the worst happens, and it's still a long way short of that, although far from being able to totally dismiss any chance of something more major happening, there's no need for anyone to totally get out of Japan - just move further from the plant.

And as for only having 6 hours to get out, your source's deadline was over 4 hours ago and there's no reports that people are being prevented from leaving the country.

On the basis of the evidence available, and the timeline here, I suspect 'your source' has no 'inside information' and is just making this up as they go along.
Yep I deleted my post. I was wrong. My apologies.

I find your posts of total doom & gloom, in order to support your own agenda, to be extremely distasteful. I also find your false projections concerning my posts to be disgrace and therefore I’ll take the advice in your tagline and not engage with you further.

+1

It would be easier if I was wrong. I'd love to be a just an internet troll, rather then someone who has the information and yet is powerless to do anything with it.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12762608

My heart felt prayers continue to go out to those who have loved ones in Japan. I really hope things do not turn out any worse. It deeply saddens me that this is going on and I hope enough individuals are able to find a safe place to stay or get out.

Back
Top Bottom