XF 2.0 Issue With Large Posts

John Pierce

One of the posts I imported from vBulletin was over 70,000 characters. It imported just fine and shows up fine when viewing the thread.

However, when I try and update the post I get the error message that it is too large.

I tried setting Admin -> Options -> Messages -> Maximum Message Length to 0 (disabling it). But when I do that and then click save on the post, it goes to a blank page and just keeps loading.

I don't see anything in the server error log.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.

Before you edit the post, try disabling the rich text editor temporarily. It's the gear icon at the end of the editor. Now edit the post (you'll see the BB code) -- does that allow it to go through?

If so, that helps us narrow down the potential cause at least.

It's likely that PHP is crashing for some reason with this. Potential issues could relate to some of the tools we use to parse the messages as there are some server limits that can get involved.

Before you edit the post, try disabling the rich text editor temporarily. It's the gear icon at the end of the editor. Now edit the post (you'll see the BB code) -- does that allow it to go through?

I cannot even toggle off the rich text editor. When I click the gear icon I get the same message:

"The submitted message is too long to be processed. Please shorten it."

It's likely that PHP is crashing for some reason with this. Potential issues could relate to some of the tools we use to parse the messages as there are some server limits that can get involved.

Any idea which log I might see those errors in? Or which settings I might need to increase for PHP?

Thanks.

This could be a PHP crash, which may not be logged there (though you may see something in your web server/PHP FPM log from that).

However, disable the RTE using the gear icon on something like quick reply and then edit the post -- it will start in non-RTE mode then.

This could be a PHP crash, which may not be logged there (though you may see something in your web server/PHP FPM log from that).

However, disable the RTE using the gear icon on something like quick reply and then edit the post -- it will start in non-RTE mode then.

I am not sure I understand what you are suggesting. Can you give me step-by-step specifics? Thanks.

It might be simplest to submit a ticket via your customer area with a login so we can reproduce the issue. The next step in debugging is likely to require FTP (or similar) access anyway to attempt to identify the specific line involved. (Mention this thread and ask for the ticket to be assigned to me please.)

Top Bottom