Tricky issue with members

I have posted a forum guidelines topic in my forums where I lay out my house rules. My guidelines address both taboo topics (generally politics, religion, suicide) and required behavior (be respectful to everyone - especially folks you disagree with). YMMV.

Thanks. I have that! It seems there were a couple of rules that were slightly contradictory in this instance. There was one about treating everyone with respect, understanding people have different views etc. There was another one saying we don't encourage a particular thing (for members). But a hobbyist joined wanting to discuss this topic. Discussing is fine as it's not encouraging but talking about what they do. So suddenly a couple of regular members were not treating this member with respect because they didn't agree with this topic. Other members had different views. I sorted it out once but it got out of hand. I think it will happen again. It's a relevant topic for discussion and some people are interested. Just one particular member wants to keep it to minimal topics only. Which isn't on. It is a contentious issue but part of the purpose of the forum is to encourage and educate people into good practices - not bully them off the forum. I was talking to deaf ears trying to explain that.

However I should add taboo topics to my rules - eg religion, politics etc - as that is definitely missing. It may come up at some point. This topic - which is only contentious with one particular person - is very valid to the forum.

However I should add taboo topics to my rules - eg religion, politics etc - as that is definitely missing. It may come up at some point. This topic - which is only contentious with one particular person - is very valid to the forum.
Yeah, if there are areas you don't want the site to go, you need to spell that out. I am on an official fan site for a favorite singer and she had the mods lay it out early and clearly that religion and politics (or anything else likely to be divisive and heated) were off the table.

Top Bottom