Is XenForo designed with big board mind?

Andy.N

From the few posts I have read so far, it seems yes but I like to use this thread to gather all information that is useful for me and others that have and plan to scale their site for future growth.

1) Sphinx search: the answer is "it is planned"
2) CDN: I use MaxCDN and would like to have an easy way to integrate that
3) APC, Memcache: the answer is they are optimized for caching
4) OpenX, Adsense, 3rd party ads system: I imagine it is not hard to have a things like "ads after first post", "forum home", etc
5) Spam prevention: are there any new features introduced to make fighting spam easy for site operators?

Two more "big board" items:
- bounced email management
- slave database server support to offload some queries to it

But the most important thing would be the scalability - so that the software wouldn't slow to a crawl on the large number of forums or the huge number of replies in a thread or the huge number of threads in a forum or even the huge number of concurrent visitors, provided the hardware is adequate.

Some of those things are there, others are being worked on. There are some things that are mostly ideas now, but have promise. :)

I do think that we have a fairly innovative way to ensure that you can have giant threads with effectively no performance penalty (don't need LIMIT 100000, 20).

Would click on Like 10 times if I could

How do you set up memcache for openx? Do you have a multi-server set up?
openx already includes a cache plugin module which defaults to banner 'filecache'. To enable memcached, edit the cache plugin module as administrator and add in memcached server ip i.e. 127.0.0.1 or remote memcached server ip and port details, then in banner cache/management switch from file cache to memcached.

Two more "big board" items:
- bounced email management
- slave database server support to offload some queries to it

But the most important thing would be the scalability - so that the software wouldn't slow to a crawl on the large number of forums or the huge number of replies in a thread or the huge number of threads in a forum or even the huge number of concurrent visitors, provided the hardware is adequate.
yeah don't forget HUGE number of registered members, amazing to see how many vB forums i come across with 200-300K registered members !

Some of those things are there, others are being worked on. There are some things that are mostly ideas now, but have promise. :)

I do think that we have a fairly innovative way to ensure that you can have giant threads with effectively no performance penalty (don't need LIMIT 100000, 20).

Sounds good to me :)

I have to say, it's nice to see posts from Mike and Kier again, regardless of the forum. :)

I have to say, it's nice to see posts from Mike and Kier again, regardless of the forum. :)

I think the majority of users who have registered over here at xenforo.com absolutely feel the same :). It is also very nice to see you again: from my point of view as a (should I say former) long-standing vBulletin customer/enthusiast I always got the impression you did an outstanding job when it came to customer relations/support management. It is really such a pity what happened to vBulletin... for me it is still painful to see. Not so weird if you've devoted such an unbelievable amount of free time and energy in the product and it's whole loyal supporting community since 2001 (!). 9 years... it feels like a big loss now. I am very curious what the future might bring...

Thank you very much for everything you have done and tried to do for us customers. Really very much appreciated!

I think the majority of users who have registered over here at xenforo.com absolutely feel the same :). It is also very nice to see you again: from my point of view as a (should I say former) long-standing vBulletin customer/enthusiast I always got the impression you did an outstanding job when it came to customer relations/support management. It is really such a pity what happened to vBulletin... for me it is still painful to see. Not so weird if you've devoted such an unbelievable amount of free time and energy in the product and it's whole loyal supporting community since 2001 (!). 9 years... it feels like a big loss now. I am very curious what the future might bring...

Thank you very much for everything you have done and tried to do for us customers. Really very much appreciated!

I agree with what you say, except that Steve STILL DOES an outstanding job, he's customer support manager and the support is the one area of vB that remains excellent. I'm sure that this is in no small measure down to Steve still being there.

Aww, his Grand Daughter is very cute :)

Somebody mentioned if that was Steve~ Well... you can tell who Steve is, because he's got the mustache:
lolwow.jpg

Top Bottom