Is XenForo designed with big board mind?

Andy.N

From the few posts I have read so far, it seems yes but I like to use this thread to gather all information that is useful for me and others that have and plan to scale their site for future growth.

1) Sphinx search: the answer is "it is planned"
2) CDN: I use MaxCDN and would like to have an easy way to integrate that
3) APC, Memcache: the answer is they are optimized for caching
4) OpenX, Adsense, 3rd party ads system: I imagine it is not hard to have a things like "ads after first post", "forum home", etc
5) Spam prevention: are there any new features introduced to make fighting spam easy for site operators?

I to would like to see a bounced email management system, I'm surprised that no forum software has it be default (I assume none do)

CDN integration of some sort would be nice, but perhaps that should be an official (paid for) plugin?

The issue is that it needs to handle reading and writing differently. The software needs to write to one location, but needs to point users to the CDN to read the files. If there is just one setting to define both read and write location, then it becomes tricky when that needs to be changed by a mod.

There is already very basic support for serving some images from a CDN.

Go into the Admin Control Panel, and then go to the Style Properties for the style you are currently using. Go to the General section. You can change the "Path to Images" Style Property to point to a CDN if you wish:

This path represents either the relative or absolute path to images used by the XenForo user interface. You may change this to point to a CDN if you wish.

Just browsing through the default templates and CSS this doesn't seem to be completely implemented yet (I've still noticed a few hard-coded paths), and it is completely dependent upon style makers implementing it in their templates and CSS. However the capability is there to at least serve all images from a CDN. :)

Some of those things are there, others are being worked on. There are some things that are mostly ideas now, but have promise. :)

I do think that we have a fairly innovative way to ensure that you can have giant threads with effectively no performance penalty (don't need LIMIT 100000, 20).
will be nice to see some updates on this

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone made any headway with setting up a CDN with their XenForo installations. I currently use MaxCDN on my Wordpress blog, but would like to extend this when I migrate my next forum to XF.

On the topic of being designed for big boards, I'm suprised that search hasn't been handled differently. Seems pretty run of the mill search capabilities and drawbacks. What's the next iteration in search?

On the topic of being designed for big boards, I'm suprised that search hasn't been handled differently. Seems pretty run of the mill search capabilities and drawbacks.

Any examples ? Any suggestions ?
I'm surprised my Title search for album doesn't get a hit for: XFR - User Albums.
What's the next iteration in search?
Those type of questions don't typically get firm replies.

Um..I actually judge "Big" by current usage, not the number of posts or users that have been gathered over the years and may no longer be active.

Example:
  1. A board that was started in 2005, has 4 million posts (all posted between 2005 & 2009) and 250,000 members (now only 15 log on each day).
  2. A board that was started last year in a rich niche, has grown fairly fast and currently has 288,000 posts and 12,000 users (3,700 log on each day) + c2,000 active visitors every hour.
In this example, #2 may not be "Big" in the current thinking but it is bigger than #1 in every way apart from archived and out of date posts and threads/users :)

Just my thoughts.... 'tis all.

Um..I actually judge "Big" by current usage, not the number of posts or users that have been gathered over the years and may no longer be active.

Example:
  1. A board that was started in 2005, has 4 million posts (all posted between 2005 & 2009) and 250,000 members (now only 15 log on each day).
  2. A board that was started last year in a rich niche, has grown fairly fast and currently has 288,000 posts and 12,000 users (3,700 log on each day) + c2,000 active visitors every hour.
In this example, #2 may not be "Big" in the current thinking but it is bigger than #1 in every way apart from archived and out of date posts and threads/users :)

For your first example... Wouldn't that just be an IB acquisition? :D

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone made any headway with setting up a CDN with their XenForo installations. I currently use MaxCDN on my Wordpress blog, but would like to extend this when I migrate my next forum to XF.

image files in CDN - done
javascript in CDN - done http://xenforo.com/community/thread...for-static-content-and-javascript-done.14902/ :D

Example:

Ttrue concurrent user usage and activity more accurately definies a forum that post count.

Top Bottom